Some feedback on paning (sort of)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by BananaRepublic, Jun 20, 2019.

1. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Derrel

2. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I start with a shutter speed of one 250th in continus or burst mode and try to get the desired effect on the wheels first. To fast of a shutter speed and the wheels are frozen in time but to slow and their a complete blur. For this shot I had chosen 125 of a second, it can be hard to adapt as every car could be going faster or slower then the last.
    Any-who once Ive got the wheels some way right, and by some way I mean going by the camera screen is not a fool prove method, I then put some effort into following the car from a distance so I will have it in my sights when its in the ideal shooting range . I tend to stick with the cross type focus point setting as Ive had most success with it and the rest comes down to panning technique together with a gatling gun approach, "eventually you'll hit something". Its also important to follow the car or whatever away similarly to earlier when it's coming towards you but to a far lesser extent. This helps maintain continuity and will improve your rhythm.

Bear in mind that there are people far better then me at this stuff and out of the hundred of shots taken I only kept a twenty or more after my first cull back home.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Seeing motion blur in the wheels is nice but don't overlook the background. A blurred background can really convey a sense of speed and motion.

• Agree Agree x 1