Some friendly Squirrels in the Neighborhood!

chantal7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There are about 4 squirrels that roam around my yard. Two are babies, one is a mom and the other is, well, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're all family. They can do some pretty funny stuff. Check it out!

I cropped this photo, hence why it's tiny.
Flat.jpg

IMG_4039c.jpg

IMG_4021c.jpg

IMG_4016c.jpg

IMG_4015c.jpg

IMG_4013c.jpg

VEry very lucky you!
I love the close up shots and getting to see his little fingers so detailed!
If I might say the squirrel is well exposed, but in the background your whites are getting overexposed quite a bit. You might try to use exposure compensation a little (-1 ish) to try and get that under control - course you might then need to play with highlights and a little selective brightnening (this might not be needed at those times of day) to get the brightness into the shot - have a play around
Good work and hope to see more of the little chap

VEry very lucky you!
I love the close up shots and getting to see his little fingers so detailed!
If I might say the squirrel is well exposed, but in the background your whites are getting overexposed quite a bit. You might try to use exposure compensation a little (-1 ish) to try and get that under control - course you might then need to play with highlights and a little selective brightnening (this might not be needed at those times of day) to get the brightness into the shot - have a play around
Good work and hope to see more of the little chap

I was not sure how to fix that over exposed stuff in the background, I'll give it a go! I'm sure I'll see the 'chap' many more times to come. He was out this morning again but I didn't get time to snap. I'm not too familiar with exposure compensation, so I had no idea about what it does and stuff. So thank you for the advice :)

Out of interest what mode are you shooting in?

hmm good results for TV (shutter priority) you are picking good shutter speeds - I tend to get them all wrong most of the time ;)
Have you tried ap mode - apature priority mode? That is what most people shoot in and lets you set the aperture (and thus a good way of setting the depth of field) of a shot. I think you have that well under control though you could try a wider aperture (that means a lower f number - confusing isnt it) but I would not shift much wider.
If you are in TV mode most of the time take a note of the f number your camera is using.

hmm good results for TV (shutter priority) you are picking good shutter speeds - I tend to get them all wrong most of the time ;)
Have you tried ap mode - apature priority mode? That is what most people shoot in and lets you set the aperture (and thus a good way of setting the depth of field) of a shot. I think you have that well under control though you could try a wider aperture (that means a lower f number - confusing isnt it) but I would not shift much wider.
If you are in TV mode most of the time take a note of the f number your camera is using.

Hmm.. that's interesting haha :D. I tend to like TV mode best, I don't know why... Although I kinda have tried the AP mode before a few times, but I found myself always going back to TV. It's probably because of the simple fact I have more experience with the TV mode rather than the other. It's my first SLR camera, so it's a huge step from the simple point and shoot cameras. I think I should expand a bit now, though, now that I'm getting used to the one mode I was using. The F-stop and stuff confuses the crap out of me - you got that right that it's confusing! :lmao:

Really nice shots, some great detail! The first shot woudl make a nice avatar :D

Most reactions

Back