Some HDR's of a Big Old Tree C&C please

LifterCatcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been playing around with HDR a bit. I am a huge fan of bold bright colors. I took several pictures of Missouri's oldest tree the giant Burr Oak & wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

I positioned the sunset right behind the tree to try and capture the detail and color the best I could.

I know HDR is not for everyone & I am pretty new at it.

Images clickable to enlarge

Focal length
70 mmExposure1/100 at f/4
ISO speedISO 200

Focal length116 mm
Exposure1/50 at f/5
ISO speedISO 200

wow.. a blue hayfield.. or whatever that is? nice! And your watermark isn't too annoying... are you afraid someone will steal your photos?

Thanks! Much better.... I love the colors.. but I am a fan of realism. Sunset is gorgeous.. but the earth is blue? You have bad Haloing everywhere too.. all this indicates that the photo is over processed.. a very common problem with HDR. I like the composition on #1 and #2.. but the odd colors and halos kill it for me.

Thanks! Much better.... I love the colors.. but I am a fan of realism. Sunset is gorgeous.. but the earth is blue? You have bad Haloing everywhere too.. all this indicates that the photo is over processed.. a very common problem with HDR. I like the composition on #1 and #2.. but the odd colors and halos kill it for me.

Thank you this is the information that I am looking for, I am also a fan of realism and just trying out HDR, but agree the haloing also bug me.

I actually thought the blue was water until I took a closer look. That really threw me off. Probably find a way to either make it green (grass like) or golden (hayfield like)

I do like 1 and 2. The sky in 1 looks amazing and the tree silouette is well done. I prefer how #2 fills the frame as opposed to how you did 3. Looks to me like the rule of thirds is in full effect here. In 1, the horizon is at the bottom third and the tree is in the right third. 2 fills the frame, but a little haloing. 3 I'm not sure where I'm supposed to look, and the halo's on top of the tree and to the left make it over done. Other than that, it's a good start to HDR! The way to good HDR images is the same way to Carnegie Hall, practice practice practice.

Most reactions

Back