Some nice ones on day 2 with new lens

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided to risk going out without my filter on as its not arrived yet....
C and C welcome on these pls. This is the 2nd day with the lens and the first time its been out the house.
DSC_0308.jpg

obeying the mistress
DSC_0227.jpg

they wouldnt look at me!
DSC_0314.jpg

This one was a bit too far away
DSC_0300.jpg

Not sure which lens you are talking about but these shots look to me like they've been taken with the 70-300 vr. Anywho, not a huge fan of the subject matter but regardless your white balances are way off. These photos are very yellow.

Just a heads up.

Adam

I agree about the white balance, the color is off in all of them. Aside from the color, the first goose isn't bad, and I would have cropped the person out of the one of the dog.

the sun, dusky was low so the wb was set to shade, how shd it have been set?

i agree 4 is quite orangey but that is the colour the sun was creating

I decided to risk going out without my filter on as its not arrived yet..
What risk are you talking about? I don't even use UV filters and nothing has happened to any of my lenses in the 15 months I've had my XTi. I do have lens hoods on all my lenses though.

I agree with the others...the white balance is way off in these pictures.

White balance modes will never work perfectly but it doesnt look like you were in the shade in these shots. From what I see it looks like the WB should have been set to Daylight.

EDIT: I would use Auto WB on your D40 until you get yourself into particular situations. (Strobe, Tungsten, etc.)

how do correct that then

If you shot in RAW its one of the first options in the RAW editor but if all you have is Jpeggers go into Adjustments>Curves> and than set a grey point.. or set a white and black point.. So like click the black selector, click where you feel should be extreme black and than the opposite for extreme white.

Hope that helps you.

im using pse7, not sure what you mean by pick a white point etc. I will set the wb to auto for now in that case
they r all j pegs samanax. Also i personally wouldnt spend 500 dollars on a piece of glass and walk abt without a cover over it. we get a lot of dust and moisture in this country

so does a RAW shot actually allow u to select a certain WB mode in PS, AND does that mean a raw shot does not take into account the WB set in the camera?

Also i personally wouldnt spend 500 dollars on a piece of glass and walk abt without a cover over it. we get a lot of dust and moisture in this country
I have the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which is $1,000 piece of glass and have no UV filter on it. It does suck dust into itself (something this lens is known to do) but so far the little specs of dust under the front element don't impact image quality. I do have a lens hood on it. From what I understand having a UV filter on the front won't stop dust from entering this particular lens (my friend has the same lens and does use a UV filter, but his lens has dust in it too).

And I live in Kaneohe, Hawaii which has a very wet, humid climate year round. If anything we have to worry about mold growing inside the lens.
so does a RAW shot actually allow u to select a certain WB mode in PS,
Yes, you can adjust white balance and exposure in ACR.
AND does that mean a raw shot does not take into account the WB set in the camera?
I honestly don't know. Something to look into though.

why would you want to spend so much on a lens with such a limited focal range?

I ask this question for learning purposes, not with the intention to critique. I was wondering how the bokah is in the geese photos? To me it seems harsh. Not as soft as I would like in a photo. But I'm not sure if it's because of the background or the lens itself. I find myself very distracted by the background and can't focus on the geese. I'm sure since the white balance is off that has a little to do with it (the geese are orangey and blend in), but I was just curious to help learn my photographer's eye.

Cropping it so there isn't so much background might help focus on just the geese, also. IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back