Some old Canon gear and accessories came my way

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Packing up my stepfather’s stuff as he’s going into assisted living. He used to be into photography back in the film era. I was asked to sell or give away his camera gear if I didn’t want it. Nothing too fancy but he did take good care of his stuff.
Canon A-1
Canon FD 50 1.8
Sears 80-200 slide zoom?? Sears?
Various flashes and case

I know these are not worth a lot (per my Google search) but it would be nice if they were out back into use. Do you think a HS photography class might have use for these? Or will they go from sitting in a closet to sitting in a cabinet? Better to give them to an individual? The shutter button still works and the red light comes on so I think electronics are good.

I don’t see myself ever taking an interest in film shooting. Not looking to sell them - just looking to start a discussion with those who use these. Also how do I open the back of this thing and see if there’s film in it?

Don't open it!!!! lol whatever you do!

There may be film in there you or someone may want to get developed. Or not. But if you accidently do, slam it shut as fast as you can! No, I never did that! (sarcasm intended)

See if there's a number showing on the botton of the camera. Altho it's possible someone could have left film in there, if it has reset back to 0 it should be empty.

You should be able to tell if you advance it one frame (in case there's an image on there), then fire another shot. See if you feel any tension. The numbers change as you advance, but I think it would do that with or w/out film. You might need to do this more than once, take a picture or two (an actual picture or with the lens cap on just to advance the film). If it feels pretty slack most likely it's empty.

Nice camera, someone might want it. You could probably check with school or university art depts. and see if they can use it. Or try selling to KEH or Adorama. Or try a camera club. Or someone on here may be interested.

I think there's a Lensbaby for that mount, probably an original or 2.0. I have one of each, they're manual focus & manual shift/tilt. Just sayin', would work with a used Lensbaby.

That's a nice advanced/amateur camera. I had one back in the 90's but sold it to buy another Pentax.
You should be able to tell if you advance it one frame (in case there's an image on there), then fire another shot. See if you feel any tension. The numbers change as you advance, but I think it would do that with or w/out film. You might need to do this more than once, take a picture or two (an actual picture or with the lens cap on just to advance the film). If it feels pretty slack most likely it's empty.
Also watch to see if the rewind knob turns during advance.

Good old Sears. Sears sold just about everything ever made since they started business over 100 years ago. They even sold houses and automobiles. BTW. my 71 Honda CB350 motorcycle I had in the early 80's was first sold through the Sears catalog, it said Honda on the side of the bike but had a Sears badge on the front fork.

Yes, attempt to rewind the film if any
Canon A-1 instruction manual, user manual
People still want to buy Canon A cameras ... if working and clean, with standard lens could be about $200+ (ebay) ... I keep trying to buy a parts A model and people keep want to bid it up, even though they are not worth it.
canon a-1 50mm | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had something similar happen. I included the gear with some more modern equipment that I was trading in to purchase the lens or something. I got almost nothing for it but I didn't care. I'd been in the same shop before when a mother and daughter were there buying a camera and lens for a film photography class the daughter was taking that summer.

Most reactions

Back