some one-of-a-kind lighting kit pieces! (attn AlienBees owners)

notelliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
over xmas break I went to NB to see the folks. my dad is a hobby-machinist (some stuff he turns out is actually DIY parts for his airplane and logging equipment :lol: ). so we teamed up and made some DIY AlienBees mods.
I recently moved, and in the process lost my lightstands.. being fairly broke at the moment as caused some stress in not being able to use some of my lighting gear. the best part is all the pieces we used were just lying around, so it didn't cost a single penny, and was only a day's work. check this out :mrgreen:

1. basically, this is the tip of a lightstand with a 1/4" socket tapped in the bottom. so now I can mount monolights of almost any type to my tripod. we used a 2" length of an aluminum alloy:
3150832377_56d6c3d5f9.jpg

2. detail of the mount without the B800:
3151666208_e3f32901d3.jpg

3. here's something that'll have Paul C Buff's panties in a twist. again on the lathe, my dad turned out a custom speedring, we rivited a custom L bracket to it, and then fitted a Nikon AS-19 coldshoe (which is removable!!) and tapped a 1/4" thread into the back for the tripod plate to support it. it's not too pretty, which is my doing (LOL) but it works pretty damned well - supports a medium softbox with an SB800, for those times I need to pack light. looks a little crooked, but it's just wide angle distortion, I'll admit that I didn't put a lot of effort into these photos.
3151667832_1a273b01dd.jpg

4. the whole setup:
3151670124_cb29df9e61.jpg

You could have bought the 1/4 to 5/8 adapter for $4.95...but it's cool that you could make one.
Link

aw jeez. I've never been able to find one. haha, at least it gave us something to do.

hahaha, Big Mike just ruins it lol. I bet it would have been fun though, making the equipment :p nice work by the way hehe

5 bucks or not, I bet the home made one is a LOT stronger! :D

Most reactions

Back