Some practice shots of my sister, C+C Please :D

lepierce3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dragged my sister out to the field by our house for some practice shots. Please let me know anything I can do better for next time! I feel like a big problem I have is that nothing ever turns out sharp enough, if anyone can give me some advice on that, it would be great!

mo5.jpg

mo4.jpg

mo1.jpg

I tried to add catch-lights into her eyes on the last one with the dodge tool, but I just dont think it turned out right. Thank you for any advice you can give! :D

If nothing ever turns out sharp--maybe your lens is not clean??? Not sure what kind of camera or lens you have, but settings used could affect the degree of sharpness. #2 is not too bad a portrait. You have good subject-to-camera eye contact in all three shots.

As what Derrel said, sharpness might depend on the lens you're using. What camera are you using?

#1 - I think it's a little bit unsaturated (or lacking contrast) compared to the other 2.

#2 - I like this best in terms of composition but since you're shooting against the sun/sunset, her face is a bit dark. A reflector would have been nice to lighten up her face.

#3 - I like the color/contrast. Quite warm and vibrant especially with your sister's smile/enthusiasm.

Overall, pretty good for practice shots. :D

I have to say I like the 2nd one the best. I love the colors! #1 seems a little flat to me.

If nothing ever turns out sharp--maybe your lens is not clean??? Not sure what kind of camera or lens you have, but settings used could affect the degree of sharpness. #2 is not too bad a portrait. You have good subject-to-camera eye contact in all three shots.

Thanks :) Yeah, I didn’t think about that, I'm kinda scared to clean it though haha, don't want to mess up the lens lol. But, I think I will give it a try anyways and see what happens :)

As what Derrel said, sharpness might depend on the lens you're using. What camera are you using?

Welllll...the camera I'm using is pretty old so don’t laugh lol xD But I'm using an Olympus E300. My parents bought it a long time ago and then abandoned it. It's pretty much all I can afford till I graduate though so it will have to do haha :D

#1 - I think it's a little bit unsaturated (or lacking contrast) compared to the other 2.

Ok here's a question, why did #1 turn out so differently than #2 when I used the same settings, she was laying in the same place, and I was standing in the same place? That's something I just don’t understand :(

I have to say I like the 2nd one the best. I love the colors! #1 seems a little flat to me.

Thanks! That's my favorite too :) and yeah I agree, not sure why it turned out so differently though.

Thank you everyone for your help so far! :D

I like #2 the best as well! :D

It sounds like you do the same thing with your sisters that I do with mine. :D Just took one of mine out the other night in our field. :)

Haha for sure! She's the only one who will always pose for me lol.

Welllll...the camera I'm using is pretty old so don’t laugh lol xD But I'm using an Olympus E300. My parents bought it a long time ago and then abandoned it. It's pretty much all I can afford till I graduate though so it will have to do haha :D

If someone DID laugh at you because of the camera you are using, they are an idiot and don't pay any attention to them!
A camera is just a box with a hole in it. And what you have is the perfect thing to learn with.

Ok here's a question, why did #1 turn out so differently than #2 when I used the same settings, she was laying in the same place, and I was standing in the same place? That's something I just don’t understand :(

the camera probably was set in auto white balance. i'd guess in the first one it chose 'cloudy' and in the second one it chose "sunlight'.

Haha for sure! She's the only one who will always pose for me lol.

Well I have 5 sisters and 1 brother so I can pretty much get one of them to pose for me whenever I want but there are sometimes when they get tired of it. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back