What's new

Some railroad pics; worth a re-shoot?

Moodyville-ain

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 1, 2009
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Location
Port Moody
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off it has been raining for 3 weeks straight, and today was the first day it stopped raining. The forecast called for mixed sun and cloud, so I planned on doing some shooting the night before. Unfortunately, I think I saw a ray or 2 poke out somewhere..... but I figured I would just scope out some opportunities for a later re-shoot, clinging to the hope that the day wasn't a total write off. So most of the pics are the best I could do, with poor lighting conditions.

Mainly I'm just wondering if these are worth re-shooting once the weather does turn good. Subject wise, angles, dof etc. I know the skies really blow chunks. Honest opinions please.

I walked along the rails for 10 mins to get this. The bridge is on a private road with a security gate, I believe this goes to an Esso refinery. I couldn't get a good shot from the other side.

4141242289_805d670716_o.jpg


The same bridge different vantage point. Tighter crop.

4141999644_f878523463_o.jpg


Different location, a bunch of gondalas. There is a sulpher plant near here, so they probably will contain/do contain sulpher.

4142000184_0e65de5886_o.jpg


While I was shooting the cars above this train came along. It was moving faster then I thought, so I didn't have much time to change my settings. I would have liked to go a faster shutter speed, but I was allready going with the lowest aperture, to get the highest shutter speed. In hindsight I should have turned up the ISO, oh well. Better luck next time.

4141242491_1939c81165_o.jpg


A dirty run down chemical plant, with a dirty run down hopper car.

4142000004_5dd7c8f0be_o.jpg


Another angle.

4142000088_622941639f_o.jpg
 
I love the composition of the first one. I'd be cool with the lighting if it were more in focus.
 
The blown out section of the left rail in the first one kills it.
 
So I just learned today, how to use the high pass filter. So I did a little tweaking. These are much sharper now.

4144573625_4d85c8b3f9_o.jpg

I sharpened it and darkened the sky. At least the sky doesn't hurt your eyes now :p I think it is mor elevel now.

Also I tweaked the railcars one a bit too. Don't know why, I just like it.
4145332850_9418caabbe_o.jpg


I also just love the run down dirtiness of this.
4146963544_307e242774_o.jpg


I didn't bother with the other ones. But I do think these are much better, then before.

I'm still gonna re-shoot but, might as well work on my PP skills.
 
Last edited:
I feel that hard subjects can benifit from hard light , try to reshoot using the shadows as part of the image when the sun decides to get out of Bed.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom