Some random desert shots

zaroba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some random shots of the desert. i40 near the Arizona/California border.
shutter speed 1/800, f/3.5, Canon 28-135 lens.
Haven't edited any of them besides shrinking them to 1920 x 1280
Feel free to post your thoughts and criticisms.
IMG_4301.JPG
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG
IMG_4309.JPG
IMG_4310.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4353.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG

a small adjustment. some contrast and exposure
Edit.jpg

Nice area to shoot in. I just got back from the Southwest national parks and the high deserts there. Most of your shots seem too over exposed except for the truck shot. Also, the Depth of Field seems too narrow and a lot of the pictures seem out of focus. Use a tripod or raise the shutter speed. There's also a lot of duplicate and repetition. I know it' s hard because each picture is one of yours, but you have to become selective and mercilessly eliminate duplicates and so-so shots. If you do that, you'll be amazed how much your photography improves.

lol, truck is my sig.

As for the desert photos, yea, I think using f/3.8 was a bad idea. I didn't even notice I had my camera set on that until after taking the pics. Smaller apature would have reduced the light and given a better depth of field.

I've been driving passed there somewhat often so will have to adjust the settings and try again sometime.

Deserts in and of themselves on average present some tough obstacles. I agree with Alan but would recommend first upping your aperture. But if I were to nitpick the one thing for me overall is the uninterestingness of the features and THAT is what makes dry shots tough. Colors tend to be flat if the sun position isn't good, few features to add anything photographically. I would suggest looking for that feature that will add a level of interestingness that isn't normally there. When I shoot landscapes my preference is to use a tripod and go all manual, even with the focus. I generally shoot at f/11 ISO 100 (but that can be fluid depending on the goals at the time) and turn on Liveview to zoom focus. But that technique will only sharpen the photo, not add the interestingness that I think is needed here.

Most reactions

Back