Some sunset seascapes

ndancona

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any thoughts on these.

It's been a while since I've shot some landscapes as been focusing on portraiture lately. I was itching to shoot the other day and went out and shot these.

Attachments

• 2sml.jpg
    2sml.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 103
  • 3sml.jpg
    3sml.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 6sml.jpg
    6sml.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 9sml.jpg
    9sml.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 10sml.jpg
    10sml.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 113
I think most of these have the right ingredients for some great images, I'd just want a bit more detail in the shadows, particularly in the foreground rocks. Easily recoverable in post though.

I think most of these have the right ingredients for some great images, I'd just want a bit more detail in the shadows, particularly in the foreground rocks. Easily recoverable in post though.
Thanks. These were all single images with no filters on my lens. No exposure blending.
I'm struggling with noise when I brighten up the shadows but will play around a bit more.

Love your Avatar. Funny thing....I was recently looking at that portrait in an older issue of Practical Photography or Digital SLR magazine, one of those. I was thinking how great it is, and here you are responding to my thread. Small world :)

Thanks. These were all single images with no filters on my lens. No exposure blending.
I'm struggling with noise when I brighten up the shadows but will play around a bit more.

Love your Avatar. Funny thing....I was recently looking at that portrait in an older issue of Practical Photography or Digital SLR magazine, one of those. I was thinking how great it is, and here you are responding to my thread. Small world :)

Yeah, shadows are where the noise lives. With landscapes/seascapes it's pretty much essential to have graduated ND filters to balance the exposures. Other than that, you have to bracket the shots, which means more work in Photoshop.

Thank you for the kind words. Yup, it appeared in Practical Photography or its sister magazine, Digital Photo. I won the portraits round. Would have been nice to have won the overall competition. The prize was pretty sweet! It is a small world indeed!

this is a bracketed one....

Attachments

• bracketed sml.jpg
    bracketed sml.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 125
how about to process it again? to try something different than what you did?

imo you've gone too far with pp... pay attention to colors you're using

this is a bracketed one....

It's certainly got more eye candy and the micro contrast in the foreground rocks could be developed still further, to bring out the texture. The main thing I notice in the bracketed version is that the rock on the right has the bright spots on it that make it look as if a light source is falling directly upon it. As the Sun has gone below the horizon, this light source doesn't appear natural. Looking at the single exposure that you posted earlier, a similar thing is happening. Is this a result of your dodging and burning? Maybe try luminosity masking to even out the exposure across the rock, even it was there at the time of shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back