Some umbrella help please

jnm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been reading a lot of the great lighting sites around like strobist and sublime-light but what i havent see is the differences in the umbrellas explained.

i take it white is less reflective than the silver but is there a difference in the color of the light given off? i presume using the gold color ones results in a different color, right? shoot through i get.

what about size? i also presume that the bigger the umbrella the softer the light because it is diffused over a greater area. i assume you would need a more powerful light to result in the same amount of light given the larger area, correct?

basically what i want to do as a learning experience is to take pictures of the dogs for the foster agency i am somewhat involved with to use on their site (for free of course). i have an SB600 and the cactus VS2 is coming in the mail. it will mostly be done inside but perhaps outside at times. what would you all recommend as an umbrella? price range id say is $30-40, nothing too fancy but something worthwhile. i was thinking of one of the shoot through ones with a cover for a bit of versatility.

any suggestions? tia!

(picture of the dog we got from the foster agency for clicks)

670975526_XiJn7-L.jpg

A silver reflective surface tends to give a harsher light and white. It does give you more reflectivity than a plain white one...but I think that most people prefer white.

You are right about the size. Bigger surface will give you a softer light...but you need more power as your surface gets bigger.

I think that for your purposes...just about any 'regular' lighting umbrella would do.

great, thanks for that! any recommendation on size for use with an SB600?

Most reactions

Back