Thanks Roger.
Were these in the Mojave or Sonoran desert?
Generally considered Mojave (<< short answer, in a nutshell).
Geographically and geomorphically the Mojave- Amboy Crater. Otherwise (botanically), I believe the area is an ecotone region between the two deserts; no Joshua trees (Mojave), no ocotillo cactus (Sonoran). Some instances of crucifixion cactus (rare- I believe Sonoran). Some instances of blue palo verde (Sonoran).
Mojave geomorphic region
Ecosubsection - Bullion Mountains - Bristol Lake
http://digital-desert.com/ecosections/322ao.htm
(See section "O" on map at bottom of page of: )
http://digital-desert.com/ecosections/322a.htm
The Sonoran Desert lies to the southeast (within sight).
Sonoran geomorphic region
Ecosubsection - Cadiz, Vidal Valleys
http://digital-desert.com/ecosections/322b.htm
(See section "A" on map at bottom of page of: )
http://digital-desert.com/ecosections/322b.htm
In a few days I'm attending a 'Rocks and Minerals', class in Joshua Tree NP. I'll be spending an extra night in 29 Palms and hope to go through the Cadiz Valley on Monday. I'm hoping to get some shots of the Cadiz Dunes Wilderness area on the trip through this remote area. I'm thinking I may spend the night in my truck and get some shots of the dunes at sunrise- possibly sunset the first night. I'm wrapped. I've been eyeing the road on maps for 7-8 years now. Since it is remote and I'll be out there on Monday and Tuesday, I've been making sure my truck is in proper condition.
Since I'm more concerned with the Mojave for my project I've been saving this arm of the Sonoran Desert that extends into the Mojave for near the last. Afterwards, (A month or two) I have another road that heads north from Ludlow to Baker that I haven't been on. That will complete the basics on the California Mojave. Then this fall and beyond I'm hoping to go further north into Nevada, southwest Utah and western Arizona to the mouth of the Grand Canyon.
Sorry for rambling. I'm into my 14th year on my obsession and excited that I'm seeing light at the end of a project I initially thought would take me 5 years.