Someone talk me out of this. Sigma SD15

I X L R 8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, It hasn't been a week since I received my Sony a550.

I have found myself interested in the Foveon sensor technology.

I am now considering another camera, The SD15 from sigma.

"Step away from the ledge....step away from the ledge!" Errrr....I mean, "Step away from the Sigma web page....step away from the Sigma web page!"

"Don't do it man! Think about little Jimmy...think about little Sally...You don't want to do this! We can help you, if you'll just let us help you."

Derrel, for some reason I value your opinion.

Give me your take on the sd15.

Don't me me wrong. I really like my Sony.

Nothing wrong with having another camera though, " is there?
The Foveon technology has captured my imterest.

The sensor is cool, no doubt, but that's about it.

Sigma is like Fujifilm, they think the sensor will save them, when really it won't. The sensor might be dynamite (for 4MP), but the rest of it just isn't there.

Than again, alot of cameras look more appealing when you've got an A550, especially once you start handling them.

I don't want to sound mean but it's true. As a salesperson i see this all the time, sony just makes cheap (in the bad way) stuff. People come in and it goes something like this:

"hey can i check out the Sony A330?"

hands them said camera

"can I also see the D3000?"

hands them said camera

"Wow, the Nikon feels alot sturdier, why is that?"

ALL of the sony's, even the A900, feel like hollow plastic fisher-price toys compared to Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Pentax. They even sound like their going to fall apart.

Derrel, for some reason I value your opinion.

Give me your take on the sd15.

Don't me me wrong. I really like my Sony.

Nothing wrong with having another camera though, " is there?
The Foveon technology has captured my imterest.

Uh, "thanks", I guess...

No, having multiple cameras is okay, but Sigma's lens mount is like a dead-end road...and the 2.0x FOV factor is awful....the SD15--I looked though a bunch of their official samples and some Japanese samples last month at the request of a fellow forum member here...lots of pretty sunset shots, but the SD15 does not have the resolution people are used to in 2010...it just does NOT resolve much detail!!

Once you buy a lens in the Sigma SA mount...you can hardly get rid of it...it's like an albatross or a white elephant, with a 2.0 FOV factor and no buyers out there...

I just think the Foveon sensor is mostly all talk and lots of marketing hype...the pictures are just not quite "there". I'd rather have a Sony. Or a Canon, Or a Nikon. Or a Pentax. Or an Olympus.

1.7 crop, olympus, some of leica, and panasonic are 2x

Most reactions

Back