Someone told me "photography is not only about pretty ladies and champagne"

Initially I thought it had to be a wireless "mouse", but I see now I have been "ratted" on! :lol:

Yes sir it was live!

This gig is being put on canvas for me =)

That is the luckiest RAT alive! I picked it up from a pet store for a couple of bux. It was destined to become snake food, since it was the only pure white rat it was chosen for the shot. Afterwards, it was set free in the woods to determine its own destiny. Maybe it'll still be a feeder for a snake but it has a chance at least =)

:thumbdown:
+1

Though your intentions were good, releasing a captive animal of any kind into the wild is a very, very, very bad idea that that can wipe out entire species of wildlife. Captive animals are reared in close quarters and often carry diseases and parasites to which native animals have no resistance... Think of the Indians and smallpox introduced by Europeans. Rodents in particular are vectors for many illnesses. This is an especially troubling problem with amphibians nowadays, and countless species of frogs are imperiled (or even made extinct) by chytrid fungus, a highly infectious pathogen that was originally spread around the world by farmed frogs exported from Asia. Now it gets all over the place when people release captive animals into natural areas (again, with the venerable intention of "setting them free"), and it really wreaks havoc on native ecosystems. Here the in California the fungus is one of the main reasons our various species of yellow-legged frogs (Rana boylii, R. muscosa, and R. sierrae) are endangered. It goes for any kind of animal - rodent, frog, turtle, fish, snake, dog, etc. - doesn't matter what it is, never release it into the wild.

Your photograph is cool though, I just hope the camera was cleaned after since rats tend to leave a urine trail wherever they go so they can find their way around.

That is the luckiest RAT alive! I picked it up from a pet store for a couple of bux. It was destined to become snake food, since it was the only pure white rat it was chosen for the shot. Afterwards, it was set free in the woods to determine its own destiny. Maybe it'll still be a feeder for a snake but it has a chance at least =)

:thumbdown:
+1

Though your intentions were good, releasing a captive animal of any kind into the wild is a very, very, very bad idea that that can wipe out entire species of wildlife. Captive animals are reared in close quarters and often carry diseases and parasites to which native animals have no resistance... Think of the Indians and smallpox introduced by Europeans. Rodents in particular are vectors for many illnesses. This is an especially troubling problem with amphibians nowadays, and countless species of frogs are imperiled (or even made extinct) by chytrid fungus, a highly infectious pathogen that was originally spread around the world by farmed frogs exported from Asia. Now it gets all over the place when people release captive animals into natural areas (again, with the venerable intention of "setting them free"), and it really wreaks havoc on native ecosystems. Here the in California the fungus is one of the main reasons our various species of yellow-legged frogs (Rana boylii, R. muscosa, and R. sierrae) are endangered. It goes for any kind of animal - rodent, frog, turtle, fish, snake, dog, etc. - doesn't matter what it is, never release it into the wild.

Your photograph is cool though, I just hope the camera was cleaned after since rats tend to leave a urine trail wherever they go so they can find their way around.

This was a safe feeder rat for snakes and such. Another thing, it was set free in the city of Tampa rather than fed to a snake. The old camera was thrown away, I didn't want to touch it after the shoot. Thanks for the kind words about the pic =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back