Someone's got a new lens!

RauschPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today I went out and bought myself a brand spankin' new Canon 75-300mm lens for my Rebel xTi. Just out of curiosity, anyone have this lens and have any tips or things to look out for when using this? I haven't had the chance to upload any work I've shot with it so far, but there's been a few nice ones so far;)

--ALSO-- I'm looking into purchasing a few lens hoods, but am not really sure what exactly to be looking for. Any tips, suggestions, etc?

Anything helps!

Is that the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III (non USM) lens? Or is it the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM lens?

If you got the first one then I hate to tell you this, but it's one of Canon's worst lens. Very slow to focus and the CA when zoomed out can be pretty bad. It does do pretty nicely at 75mm and f/4.0 though...it can produce fairly nice bokeh. I have the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III but I don't use it much.

It can be difficult to hand hold steadily if you have it zoomed to 300mm...you'd have to use a fairly fast shutter speed to eliminate camera shake or use a tripod.

I haven't heard much about the USM version of that lens.

Can you return it? I gave mine away to help move a 24-70.

Good lenses are expensive, so if this fits your budget and you have fun then mission accomplished!

I got a few fun shots with mine before I became aware of its limitations and started looking for sharpness and less CA, which BTW can be explored quite cheaply at first, but may lead to prime lens-itis so beware.

-Shea

I have the same lens as the op, and I am heading out tomorrow to try it out. I will post back with any pros/cons.

I have it too, and I honestly can't remember the last time I used it.

I do have good pictures from it though - it's just that since I got my 70-200 f/4L (2 years ago?), I never use the 75-300.

wow well bashing the lens aside....haha but it can suck for CERTAIN things but to toy around with give it a shot honestly i havent had the best luck with action shot of like birds in flight etc like stated above camera shake etc....but....catch a bird on a branch or something of that nature with a tripod or something solid it can do alright...at the end of the day if this is a hobby then u dont need the L series lenses....they are nice sure but just have fun and work your way up if you want

It's the USM lens, if that makes any difference..
It's supposed to be quicker to focus but I don't know if it suffers from the CA problem of the cheaper 75-300mm. How are the images you've been taking with it? If they're sharp, have good color and contrast and you don't see any purple fringing then you may have a good copy of that lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back