What's new

Something different (Thinking outside my box)

ronlane

What's next?
Joined
Aug 3, 2012
Messages
10,224
Reaction score
4,962
Location
Mustang Oklahoma
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got to spend the weekend at my Parents house where we rode 4-wheelers a lot. I was taking pictures of the kids as they were riding and I found this bend in the trail where I could get a nature shot. This one was just before I could get them in focus but thought that it was pretty cool.

What are your thoughts, cool or not?


4-wheeling by Ron_Lane, on Flickr
 
I like the concept. I would try horizontal with more space between the trees and camera. Try for more of a framed look with the foliage. The total obscure isn't working for me.
 
I can see what you are saying, thank you for your input.
 
Doesn't work for me man. Just looks like missed focus to be honest
 
Yeah I gotta say not as well


I think if you had a focus on a single flower, instead of such a large area, it would work better.
 
The question is how to make the sharp bits relate to the blobs in the background. Now if you had a bit more space showing the blobs (ie, your kids and the ATV) more open, and (say) a piece of clothing like a hat dangling from a branch, then there's a story for the viewer to construct. As it is, it does look like your autofocus did its thing (focus on the nearest objects) - and we know you're smarter than that - so it must be conceptual art.;)
 
I think it works fine, and is quite a successful image.

It's about the juxtaposition of the ATV with nature. Putting the ATV in focus makes it about the ATV, reversing that relationship makes it about both since the ATV is such a strong shape, and in such vigorous colors, that it can stand up on its own even out of focus. There's a nice sense of motion here as well, which is damaged by razor sharp pictures of the vehicles.

What you think of the juxtaposition that is up to you, but I can tell that the kid is smiling and happy. I find it interesting that this image could serve as well as an anti-ATV image as a pro. Is the OOF vehicle ominous and destructive, or a fun, fast, exciting way to connect with the natural world? Up to you!

Honestly, I bet you could sell this image. This looks like great stock, to me. Maybe see if you can recover the shadows on the tree trunk a bit.
 
Thank you for all the comments.

Amolitor, I wouldn't have even considered a stock image for this but I may have to try it just to see.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom