Something's up with this website.

Nosajjao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I must say I can really appreciate a resource such as this that allows photography works to be shared between the artists, giving everyone an opportunity to learn new things, get critiqued, see things they've seen, have a good time, etc. But this concept hits a brick wall when nobody communicates. Maybe its just me, but I've been noticing the majority of threads posted, primarily in the free themed gallery section, have a microscopic number of replies to the threads. Not just mine but several other members. Are you all just too shy to post something on what someones shared or said? Do you really have nothing to say? Maybe there just aren't enough opinionated people on this site to make a dent. But when somebody takes time and effort to showcase what their hobby or lifeswork entails, it behooves you to contribute just the tiniest bit of acknowledgement towards them. Whether its "That sucks" or "Huh, whatever" or "Thats awesome" or some statements laden with advice. I'm not trying to insult those of you out there who are regular contributors to this site. I'm just saying, it feels like a ghost town of a forum. And I wouldn't be half surprised if no one responds to this statement either.

Some of us don't really know enough to make any judgements.

Since when were judgements unwelcome? This is art. You may not know what an F-stop is but that doesn't stop you from voicing your opinion on the subject matter or the look of a shot. Artistic value isn't noticed only by the professionals. I often times ask my own family, who haven't a clue about composing a shot, or ISO sensitivities, what they think of my stuff. If you haven't noticed, the general public (eg: potential buyers of your work) aren't professional photographers.

The point I'm trying to make relates to a snowball effect. If one persons decides to post, whatever they might say could spark a thought in another poster, which could compound to several posts, and several things being said about whatever. This could equate to more advice, or just more opinions, or just BS fodder posts. Either way, posting your immediate or drawn out thoughts on something is going to help spawn more posts, and maybe more traffic to these threads.

I think we are in a catch 22. If I say nice shot, I get called out for not being constructive. . If I stay mum, ooppps thats out too.

So what do I do.. I say what I want, when I want. If you dont like it thats just too bad. Ignore my posts.
I never comment on dull pictures. They can be technically brillant and so forth but they just dont turn my crank. Cars, stairs, houses to name a few. Mind you, what is dull to me could be nirvana for others.

Possible solution: Peer groups
Invite posters who have commented on your stuff to become a "contact-friend". Those friends could agree to share their critics of each others work regularily.

I think we are in a catch 22. If I say nice shot, I get called out for not being constructive. . If I stay mum, ooppps thats out too.

So what do I do.. I say what I want, when I want. If you dont like it thats just too bad. Ignore my posts.
I never comment on dull pictures. They can be technically brillant and so forth but they just dont turn my crank. Cars, stairs, houses to name a few. Mind you, what is dull to me could be nirvana for others.

You are just one person out of 'several' members, if just you choose to not post then there are still others that can post.

Possible solution: Peer groups
Invite posters who have commented on your stuff to become a "contact-friend". Those friends could agree to share their critics of each others work regularily.
I like this idea. Except there has only been one maybe two people to comment on the dozen+ photos I have uploaded. Thats just me whining though.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome; however, this thread didn't belong in the Welcomes & Introductions forum, so I have moved it to the Feedback area. :)

This is an issue that has caused concern and been discussed off and on over the years. It is impossible to look at every image posted here, even in just 1-2 forums. If you don't feel compelled to comment or have anything constructive to add, I don't see that remaining quiet, or simply giving an "atta-boy" type of comment, should be cause for alarm. If you get bashed by another member for making a simple comment, report the post. You're not doing anything wrong!

You and some of the responders here are fairly new to TPF. This forum means various things to many people. Can't be all things to all people, of course - so, make of it what you want, within the guidelines, and you'll begin to feel what works best for you.

Most reactions

Back