Sony a7s orcanon 5D mkIII for photography and video?

theberto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I was thinking about buying a new camera. At the moment I use Canon eos 650D with a 17-50 tamron, but I would like to switch to the full frame. I would like a camera that I can use for both photography and video. In the past I would have probably chosen a Canon 5D without thinking too much, but lately I've been attracted by the sony a7s. One of things I like about Sony is its compact size that is great when I want to bring my camera during a travel (the Canon eos 650D(+ tamron) itself is quite heavy ), of course I can imagine that the quality of Canon 5D is still on another standard.
Usually I saw comparision between those two cameras about their video capabilities (in wich the sony a7s seems to perform greatly), I would lik to understand also how do they perform in photgraphy as well. Can the Sony compete with the 5D?

I've also read that the5D gives a more cinematic look in video then the documentaristic look of sony video. I would like to ask you if that's true. Is it possible to get a cinematic look on the sony as well?

At the moment I was considering these two models but if you have other suggestion I would be happy to hear them.

thank you so much

Maybe being a smart ass here but neither, either the 5D IV or the A7RII
The A7S and A7SII are really dedicated more for video, the 5DIII is yesterday, 5DIV is great as long as you don't need 4K and its a fantastic photography.
A7RII also great photography camera and does 4K
Main 2 downsize of Sony, few lenses and tiny batteries that means you will need to walk around with lots of batteries.
Another thing to remember these are 2 FF sensor cameras, get the good glass and you get BIG lenses so actually the bigger body is an advantage as it feels far more balanced in the hand.

Hi everyone, I was thinking about buying a new camera. At the moment I use Canon eos 650D with a 17-50 tamron, but I would like to switch to the full frame. I would like a camera that I can use for both photography and video. In the past I would have probably chosen a Canon 5D without thinking too much, but lately I've been attracted by the sony a7s. One of things I like about Sony is its compact size that is great when I want to bring my camera during a travel (the Canon eos 650D(+ tamron) itself is quite heavy ), of course I can imagine that the quality of Canon 5D is still on another standard.
Usually I saw comparision between those two cameras about their video capabilities (in wich the sony a7s seems to perform greatly), I would lik to understand also how do they perform in photgraphy as well. Can the Sony compete with the 5D?

I've also read that the5D gives a more cinematic look in video then the documentaristic look of sony video. I would like to ask you if that's true. Is it possible to get a cinematic look on the sony as well?

At the moment I was considering these two models but if you have other suggestion I would be happy to hear them.

thank you so much

Hello!

While I do not do too much video, nor do I have much experience with Sony, The 5D Mk III is wonderful. It's a recent purchase/upgrade for me, and I'm enamored with the capabilities of it. It does a pretty decent job in low light conditions (even with video), and the battery life seems to be really good as well. It processes very quickly, and is extremely responsive. It's a bit heavy, so if you have a heavy lense as well, I highly suggest investing in a good strap (if you don't have a good one already) as it would be easier on your neck in terms of stress, and chaffing.

All in all, I think the 5D iii is an amazing camera, and you can get a decent bundle with it these days and a decent price since the 5DMk 4 came out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

that video show a comparison about just the video capabilities of the two cameras, do you know how's the comparison in terms of photography?

that video show a comparison about just the video capabilities of the two cameras, do you know how's the comparison in terms of photography?
Depends, what are YOUR photography skills? That is the important factor.

I am talking about the tecnical aspect. Of course personal skills is an important factor but I was thinking about the differences between the two camera beside that

I have the 5D3, and I've used the A7RII. There are features of the A7 series (either R or S) that are absolutely superior to the 5D. I don't consider the size/weight argument to be all that important when you mount the same lenses on each. The lens becomes the dominant factor in mass. Things like silent shooting, in-viewfinder features (like exposure and WB simulation), etc. I use manual focus lenses a lot, so focus peaking in the viewfinder is nice.

However, I *prefer* the Canon. I prefer the way that it feels in my hand (and I have relatively large hands 2XL in men's gloves). I prefer the menu layout and control placement on the Canon. I prefer the video file format on the Canon MP4 as opposed to the proprietary format in Sony.

My point is: the better camera for me is mostly subjective factors. Even though the Sony spec sheet is longer, I don't walk around holding side-by-side spec sheets. I'm wanting to enjoy using the camera. They say that the best camera is the one that you have with you. I say that the best camera is the one that you want to have with you. For me, the process of taking the picture is just as (if not more) important than the resulting picture.

From what I have read, you comparing a 12MP (sony) to a 20MP (canon) sensor. The sony will do better in low light and the canon will have higher resolution. If your primary use of the camera is video then the sony definitely has the edge. If your primary use of the camera is still then the canon may have an edge. I personally prefer a dSLR over mirrorless because of the way the viewfinder looks and the overall handling characteristics.

Most reactions

Back