Sony a9 is coming!

Sounds like a great body. Now Sony needs a system of lenses and accessories to go along with it

It really starts to get better. There are now 3 different 85mm prime lenses available for E-Mount from Zeiss / Sony.

It really starts to get better. There are now 3 different 85mm prime lenses available for E-Mount from Zeiss / Sony.
I like Sony and would consider a FF but, the system of lenses and accessories is just not up to where I think it should be for professional use.

I'm sure the other makers are having problems catching up because I'm sure SONY patented their technology and methods of AF, etc. Thus Nikon, Canon etc have to develop (or license SONY's) their own AF/sensor processing technology.
Using the same sensor is the easy part, all the other processing chips would be the problem for them .. make their own or license it.

Canon's on-sensor PDAF is actually pretty nice.

yes, it is nice. The Canon 'PDAF' is great for action and sports shooting
but I have to use old Canon telephoto lenses
boo hoo hoo .........
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I like Sony and would consider a FF but, the system of lenses and accessories is just not up to where I think it should be for professional use.
I think that depends a lot on what you are shooting. For wedding I think they are awesome. For some other things they are on par and again others not so much.

I think that depends a lot on what you are shooting. For wedding I think they are awesome. For some other things they are on par and again others not so much.
long tele's are pretty sparce

Very true, but not all pros need long telephoto lenses.
I don´t think any real photographer would call Hasselblad Medium Format Cameras not professional. Yet their longest lens is 210mm which is 135mm on a full frame body.

Yeah there's that... But honestly they haven't really hammered down weather sealing and such to a likeable degree, yet. I'd need a good look at the a9 body and any long tele lenses I were going to buy for wildlife.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Yeah there's that... But honestly they haven't really hammered down weather sealing and such to a likeable degree, yet. I'd need a good look at the a9 body and any long tele lenses I were going to buy for wildlife.

I´m not currently thinking about getting the a9, but I use a7rII and a7sII. Again weather sealing is something some people need and others don´t. I worked with these in very humid (not rain) and hot conditions as well as in snowfall without having a problem. I don´t introduce the cameras to excessive rainfall though and usually stop shooting as soon as the rain starts a little heavier. I´d trade extreme weather sealing against ISO 25 or 50, other functions or reduced weight and especially size on a camera anytime.
Many professional photographers need good weather sealing, but many others just don´t.

I´m sounding like a fanboy - I hate that :D

I´m not currently thinking about getting the a9, but I use a7rII and a7sII. Again weather sealing is something some people need and others don´t. I worked with these in very humid (not rain) and hot conditions as well as in snowfall without having a problem. I don´t introduce the cameras to excessive rainfall though and usually stop shooting as soon as the rain starts a little heavier. I´d trade extreme weather sealing against ISO 25 or 50, other functions or reduced weight and especially size on a camera anytime.
Many professional photographers need good weather sealing, but many others just don´t.

nah I don't think you are sounding like a fanboy, you are just making a different point. And I agree with you, everyone had different needs. My point is that it doesn't take away from anyone's needs to have a higher build quality. You use 2 different cameras for different things... Neither of those cameras would be any less useful for your needs as a photographer if they were more protected from environmental damage.

Did you know there are a number of companies that won't rent you any camera body or lens if you say you are planning to go to a holi powder event? Apparently even with pro level sealing on pro lenses and bodies the damage from the dust to the internals is so severe they have had to scrap some, not even repair. You might argue that you don't plan to shoot at one... But if the protection wouldn't change the way your camera functions and wouldn't add much cost, wouldn't you like all your gear to provide the option? Gear is about possibility, to me.

nah I don't think you are sounding like a fanboy, you are just making a different point. And I agree with you, everyone had different needs. My point is that it doesn't take away from anyone's needs to have a higher build quality. You use 2 different cameras for different things... Neither of those cameras would be any less useful for your needs as a photographer if they were more protected from environmental damage.

Did you know there are a number of companies that won't rent you any camera body or lens if you say you are planning to go to a holi powder event? Apparently even with pro level sealing on pro lenses and bodies the damage from the dust to the internals is so severe they have had to scrap some, not even repair. You might argue that you don't plan to shoot at one... But if the protection wouldn't change the way your camera functions and wouldn't add much cost, wouldn't you like all your gear to provide the option? Gear is about possibility, to me.

Definitely yes - same size and weight and not much higher costs and I´m in ;).

Had a hands on session with this camera tonight. What an amazing piece of hardware. Unbloodybelievable :eek-73: Pity I won't be able to afford one. Lots to come from Sony this year. If I was a pro sports/wildlife photog, I will be all over this.

Most reactions

Back