Sony H10 very blurry images

Friedcherry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If everything is perfectly still my pictures come out pretty good. However if I am trying to capture something with just a little movement, I can't take a picture of it to save my life.

Here is an example of my kid who just started ice skating and he is moving very slow.

http://www.friedcherry.com/photos/DSC04020.jpg

I just have no idea on what to do to help that out. I was just thinking of trashing the H10 and going with a DSLR but if its my fault I would like to know what I can do to fix it.

Thanks
Mark

I guess thats my problem, I really don't know what I need to be searching for.

The way I like to understand shutter speed is that it controls the amount of time that the image sensor is exposed to light. The longer the shutter speed, the more light gets in and the more likely you will be to get motion blur. Since the shutter speed is in fractions of a second, a large number in the denominator will mean a shorter shutter speed (1/250 is shorter than 1/125).

If you think about an object moving relative to the stationary camera, it is evident that if you have a longer shutter speed, the subject will be blurred because the amount of time that the shutter is open is allowing the subject to move before the exposure is finished. If you use a fast shutter speed, the exposure happens so quickly that the distance the subject moves relative to the camera becomes very small; small enough, in fact, that the image becomes sharply focused.

However, as I mentioned earlier, the shutter speed also controls the amount of time the sensor is exposed to light. If the sensor does not get enough light (such as if the shutter speed is too fast for the lighting), it can't make a proper exposure and your image will appear dark and noisy. In order to correct this you can sometimes use flash or you may just have to wait for a brighter day. If the shutter speed is too long, you'll get an image that is over exposed and appears too bright.

The goal is to make a correct exposure while maintaining your goal of either stopping the motion, or in some cases you may want to imply motion.

I would do some research on aperture, shutter speed, and ISO (this is called the exposure triangle). You will learn a lot. If you are really interested, I recommend picking up the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

The blur in the image you posted was caused by 2 things, motion blur and camera shake.

Both are symtoms of to slow a shutter speed.

Your camera cannot let light in fast enough to use a faster shutter speed to stop motion and minimize camera shake in low light conditions.

We can see indoors ok because the pupil in our eye's gets larger. There is a limit to how large the 'eye'of your camera can open and it can't match what your eye sees.

Aye. The shutter speed in that picture is only 1/10 of a second. That's *VERY* slow and even many professional photographers have trouble at that speed (most people limit themselves to 1/20 or 1/30 even depending on if a lens has some type of stabilization or not and how good it is). Personally I don't like to go any slower than 1/30 without a tripod and stationary target.

There should be a way to speed up the shutter, but truth be told the pictures might come out too dark at that point...The H10 has a great lens but doesn't handle low-light conditions very well (bad ISO detail). This means indoors without a lot of light it slows down the shutter to compensate.

Really not a lot you can do except carry around a very bright spotlight or upgrade the camera.

Thank you for the good feedback.

My main concern was if my camera was good enough to take those kind of shots. I could not find anything on the web after saying anything about it. So thank you very much for answering that. Also that camera doesn't allow for manually setting the shutter speed from what I have read as well.

My wife is also going to start taking some beginning classes and possibly take photography up as hobby now.

If there are anymore tips people would like to provide that would be great! Thanks for all the help!

I was doing some searching for a good camera for indoor action shots and this model kept coming up: panasonic lx3

Would anyone have any suggestion on if that is the case? I will continue to look around but personal experiences are always helpful.

My wife is also going to start taking some beginning classes and possibly take photography up as hobby now.

If there are anymore tips people would like to provide that would be great! Thanks for all the help!

Join her.

p!nK

Most reactions

Back