Sony RX10IV Battery incompatible issue

bzguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, long story short,
I live in Belize where shipping and customs are outrageous.
I have now purchased 5 Sony RX10 IV's because i love the lens flexibility, WHEN they work.
I found out the hard way it is more expedient to just buy another one that to ship it back and forth with repair, shipping and duty.
#5 developed a software glitch in it's sleep, this has happened before.
It's telling me 4 batteries that I have been using for months are suddenly all simultaneously incompatible.
Kind of funny because it powers up, lens extends and screen shows cam is working, for about 1 second.
Then the annoying prompt and black screen.
Seems like this is an internal software glitch, it has happened to 3 out of 5 now.
Pretty tired of being extorted by Sony, International shippers, customs on the way back, customs agent fee, shipping to my island.
Can anyone walk me though this?
I cannot access the menu, I have a USB to cam cable but it's of no use without a geek if possible to do at all.
I am thinking there is a combination of buttons to hold to reset that is a techie secret, they love writing stuff like that into their programs.
I will credit someone's account, in advance, if this is doable and they agree to walk me through this.
TIA, Dennis

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, your rather complicated problem is a new one for me. I have four batteries for my Sony and all work fine.

Hi, long story short,
I live in Belize where shipping and customs are outrageous.
I have now purchased 5 Sony RX10 IV's because i love the lens flexibility, WHEN they work.
I found out the hard way it is more expedient to just buy another one that to ship it back and forth with repair, shipping and duty.
#5 developed a software glitch in it's sleep, this has happened before.
It's telling me 4 batteries that I have been using for months are suddenly all simultaneously incompatible.
Kind of funny because it powers up, lens extends and screen shows cam is working, for about 1 second.
Then the annoying prompt and black screen.
Seems like this is an internal software glitch, it has happened to 3 out of 5 now.
Pretty tired of being extorted by Sony, International shippers, customs on the way back, customs agent fee, shipping to my island.
Can anyone walk me though this?
I cannot access the menu, I have a USB to cam cable but it's of no use without a geek if possible to do at all.
I am thinking there is a combination of buttons to hold to reset that is a techie secret, they love writing stuff like that into their programs.
I will credit someone's account, in advance, if this is doable and they agree to walk me through this.
TIA, Dennis
I would ask Sony about it, either online or by phone.

I would ask Sony about it, either online or by phone.
I have, this is 3 times same issue. Corporations are dehumanizing commerce. You go through a chain of people who know nothing but how to get you to send it back to them. Each time you have to repeat all the info. 800 numbers are not free in Belize. Somewhere up there there is an office full of people and none of them are on the same page. They will not let you speak to someone who would actually know, like a tech, they want to extort more money. Doesn't matter a bit what a good customer you are anymore. Used to be "Build a better mousetrap and the world wil beat a path to your door. Now it's manufacture offshore for as little as you can, little R&D before release, Apple is also famous for this. They use their clients to test new stuff. Then charge as much as you can and insist that only they can repair it.

Last edited:
I have, this is 3 times same issue. Corporations are dehumanizing commerce. You go through a chain of people who know nothing but how to get you to send it back to them. Each time you have to repeat all the info. 800 numbers are not free in Belize. Somewhere up there there is an office full of people and none of them are on the same page. They will not let you speak to someone who would actually know, like a tech, they want to extort more money. Doesn't matter a bit what a good customer you are anymore. Used to be "Build a better mousetrap and the world wil beat a path to your door. Now it's manufacture offshore for as little as you can, little R&D before release, Apple is also famous for this. They use their clients to test new stuff. Then charge as much as you can and insist that only you can repair it.
With that kind of customer service, I would dump them. After all, there are similar bridge cameras with top-quality optics available from real camera manufacturers. Sony makes excellent radios, televisions and sound systems - I view their cameras as an afterthought. (Just my opinion, nothing more.)
Many of us here would like to know how this ends up for you, so I hope you'll keep us updated. Good luck!

With that kind of customer service, I would dump them. After all, there are similar bridge cameras with top-quality optics available from real camera manufacturers. Sony makes excellent radios, televisions and sound systems - I view their cameras as an afterthought. (Just my opinion, nothing more.)
Many of us here would like to know how this ends up for you, so I hope you'll keep us updated. Good luck!
Well we are both in luck. I kept fooling with it turning it on and off, switching batteries and it came back to life last night, 1 week after the problem appeared out of nowhere. Thank you!.

Well we are both in luck. I kept fooling with it turning it on and off, switching batteries and it came back to life last night, 1 week after the problem appeared out of nowhere. Thank you!.
That's good news indeed. Thanks for the update. Now, let's just hope you have no more occasion to call Sony!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back