Sony-Zeiss Who Does What?

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What exactly is the nature of the collaboration between Sony and Zeiss regarding Sony-Zeiss lenses. Who does what?

I don't now that much about this stuff,but unless I am mistaken, I don't believe Zeiss even makes it sony does.I think it has to meet a certain specification to have the Zeiss name on it.I believe this is the same with Leica on panasonic.

I think that is a correct analysis. I think Zeiss just sold a license to produce lenses with that mark with certain restrictions. Sony/ZEISS lenses will have been jointly designed and developed, with ZEISS finalizing prototypes and producing test specifications for production. In Sony’s manufacturing facilities across Asia is where the Sony/ZEISS lenses will be made, but ZEISS still isn’t out of the picture. The Sony factories will use ZEISS-created lens testing equipment to perform quality checks on the Sony/ZEISS lenses. According to the blog, ZEISS is responsible for setting the technical and quality standards in which their partners, such as Sony, must follow. ZEISS also regularly audits the production process, management systems, and measuring installations in Sony factories making Sony/ZEISS lenses.

Last edited:
What he said ... Zeiss design/QC and Sony manufacturing ... though I think Sony Engineers have been absorbing some secrets for themselves.

Thanks very much. That's pretty much what I expected but I was curious.

I’ve read that the Sony/Zeiss partnership (if you want to call it that) is coming to an end. Now that the Sony brand of lenses has been getting some clout they don’t feel the need to carry the Zeiss name.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back