Sony's New Venture

NikonD40x@Denver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thecreativejuicemagazine.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone heard of what SONY is testing in a couple of weeks? I received some information that SONY has started to put GPS in there SLR Camera's and CamCorders..... so not only it internally captures your Camera settings in the image..... it will now track the Longitude and Latitude from where you were when you took that picture.....Nice, I Like that feature..... tooo bad it's Sony.

Any Comments?

I'm into offroad driving and own a couple of GPSs and love digital mapping and similar but I really can't see a need for GPS data in a camera. I reckon I could remember where I've taken virtually all of my shots without GPS co-ords, if a location isn't that memorable that you can instantly record where you were from memory than it's not worth bothering with GPS.

Just my 2c

I'm not so sure I like it. If I take a picture of my house or places I frequent often, guess what...

A useless feature that takes a piece of your privacy. These are the kinds of things that play right into a stalker or predators hands.

whats wrong with Sony?

who do you think makes sensors for many of Nikon's cameras?

It's one thing to use a product which has a sony wholesale (high quality) item in it. Quite another to use a sony made retail product. Just like Electrocompaniet's SACD player is much nicer than Sony's high end one even though it has a Sony transport in it. The sensor by far does not make the camera.

Anyway I'm talking general here I have nothing against sony cameras because I haven't used them yet. Just pointing out the obvious flaw in the argument namely that Sony make some excellent wholesale products and some dodgy retail crap at the same time.

Uahhh back on topic. Are you sure it actually has GPS in it? Like in the camera? It sounds expensive, and to a large degree pointless for the large majority of users. Or is it like the D200 / D2x's ability to connect to a compatible GPS device which loads the co-ordinates into the picture's exif data?

Has anyone heard of what SONY is testing in a couple of weeks? I received some information that SONY has started to put GPS in there SLR Camera's and CamCorders..... so not only it internally captures your Camera settings in the image..... it will now track the Longitude and Latitude from where you were when you took that picture.....Nice, I Like that feature..... tooo bad it's Sony.

Any Comments?

Hm. I guess it would be helpful for those individuals who go out into the desert and shoot abandoned shacks and want to be able to find it again... :mrgreen:

It's one thing to use a product which has a sony wholesale (high quality) item in it. Quite another to use a sony made retail product. Just like Electrocompaniet's SACD player is much nicer than Sony's high end one even though it has a Sony transport in it. The sensor by far does not make the camera.

Anyway I'm talking general here I have nothing against sony cameras because I haven't used them yet. Just pointing out the obvious flaw in the argument namely that Sony make some excellent wholesale products and some dodgy retail crap at the same time.

Uahhh back on topic. Are you sure it actually has GPS in it? Like in the camera? It sounds expensive, and to a large degree pointless for the large majority of users. Or is it like the D200 / D2x's ability to connect to a compatible GPS device which loads the co-ordinates into the picture's exif data?

It has the GPS built into the SLR.

It's one thing to use a product which has a sony wholesale (high quality) item in it. Quite another to use a sony made retail product.
Just pointing out the obvious flaw in the argument namely that Sony make some excellent wholesale products and some dodgy retail crap at the same time.

I think you misinterpret my posting..

It was in response to "tooo bad it's Sony." comment.. meaning that there is a flaw in the assumption that Sony made products are not good. I then followed up by pointing out that Sony makes good sensors in Nikon products.

So in essense.. we are in agreement.... Sony (just like all brands) have their hits or misses...

I personally wouldn't mind having a GPS in the camera but I feel its usefulness is specific to a special situation/use. If adding a GPS increases the cost of the camera body, then I'd rather just not have it. I can easily carry a GSP unit.

I personally wouldn't mind having a GPS in the camera but I feel its usefulness is specific to a special situation/use. If adding a GPS increases the cost of the camera body, then I'd rather just not have it. I can easily carry a GSP unit.

How does one link a photo to handheld GPS coordinates?

I have a sony a100 and am loving it. I don't have anything to compare it to as it is my first dslr. But thanks to this thread, I know see it has GPS something erruva in the Image Information bit. So now I will have to see how to activate it, if it is actually on the camera. ;)

Ok, well I couldn't find it in the book, so maybe it is just in the Picture Motion Browser for those who do??? Maybe???
PS, I am a beginner, incase you didn't notice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back