Sony's Second DSLR???

Zatodragon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zato-dragon.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sony is set to release two new cameras over the next year or so, one of the supposedly being a pro level camera. Things are looking good for sony, I wish Pentax would release more pro level gear for room to expand, then more people would consider the brand because there is room to grow with it.

Yea, just wish there was more information about Sony's new plan.. Oh well.

But yes!! Pentax has awesome stuff going for it. I don't know why they don't either. I still like my Honeywell body with 135mm 2.8 with b&w film. Oooh it's good.

Good question... but are Nikon really that reliant on Sony? Sure at the moment they're using Sony sensors in virtually all their dSLRs, but in the past haven't they designed their own (one of the D2 models?)? And are Fuji or Kodak not options? I don't mean those as rhetorical questions, I actually don't know. It seems odd to me that Nikon would be forced to wait for Sony.

I believe Fuji is one of the largest Japanese congloms, whereas Nikon is a relatively independent smaller company - I don't see them buying out Fuji. Yes, they are reliant on Sony or some other sensor manufacturer for now.

The thing about sony is that they have monster resources, both for product development and marketing, and that they have always produced super-high-end pro-gear. Look at their video cameras, or sound gear. They will certainly come out with pro-gear, and within a few generations it will be a market leader in quality, and possibly in sales. I expect Canon and Sony to be the dominant companies in SLRs in ten years.

I agree that Sony are likely to become a big player in the dSLR market. And I think Nikon buying out Fuji is... unlikely. It occured to me that they might work with Fuji or Kodak though, and I think they did design their own sensor for the D2H (not sure how good it is), so it seems to me that when it comes to sensor manufacturer it doesn't have to be just a choice of Canon or Sony. Pentax are using Sony sensors for DSLRs but Kodak for digital medium format. Just a thought.

Fujitsu Corp (when one takes into account all of their enterprises as one company) is actually much larger than Sony. If it's not the largest Japanese conglomerate, it's close. In fact, it's unlikely they'd even sell their photography division, as it is a very successful venture.

That being said, and taking into account Sony's track record, I would have to agree with Flatline. In ten years or less, Sony will be one of the top two DSLR manufacturers, and their pro-level gear will be setting all kinds of standards that other companies will be scrambling to catch up with. Personally, I can't even describe how excited I am at the two new Alpha DSLRs Sony has announced, the pro-spec flagship in particular. The possibility of a full-frame professional Sony DSLR has me champing at the bit. I just hope they stay true to the spirit of the torch they took from Minolta.

Im sure it costs Nikon less to use Sony sensors than to develop and produce their own.

While i'm a minoltian, i really, really wish Nikon would get off it's tail end and get something working in the sensor area. I am NOT a Sony fan (even though i agree with iron flatline completely) i hope Nikon will continue to be a strong leader to keep competition spread among a larger base of leaders.

This is not to say i will not buy Sony cameras - i am really pleased to see Sony indicating they are pretty motivated, but i like good competition - it keeps everyone working and well-equipped!!

Most reactions

Back