(sort of) holiday themed puppy shoot

chammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i been on vacation the past week and a half so i havent posted (or shot) much. got home this evening and decided to play around. this is the third time using my new lighting equipment, and im starting to feel more comfortable with off camera lighting.

a table was setup against a tv cabinet with a white linen sheet ($7 backgrounds for the win!) drapped over top the table then supported by things on top of it to provide a solid backdrop. found some nice xmas balls from storage, and some fall leaves gathered from outside to throw on the table as "props". light was setup just off to camera left at 1/2 power, and camera was setup in manual for 1/60th @ f/8 iso 100 using the canon 50mm 1.8.

anyways, here are a few of my favs:

fiona4.jpg

fiona5.jpg

jordan1.jpg

mariah2.jpg

zeus2.jpg

zeus5.jpg

i realize the backdrop has ruffles and creases and wrinkles galore. i thought about fixing it with a neat trick i found for making black backgrounds black, and white backgrounds white...but to be honest, after trying it on one of the pictures i actually preferred the background as it lay.

do you feel they'd be better overall if i bit the bullet and just smoothed out the backgrounds, or do you think it adds more character and depth to the photographs without distracting the viewer from the subject?

i like 1 and 5 the best. but one thing that bothers me a little bit is seeing people in the reflection of the ornaments. not that big of a deal. i think if 6 had a little more of the pup in it, it would be better.

but nice pictures

just my $.02

what a great dog to photograph! interesting combo of fall leaves and christmas decoration, that part doesn't work i think.
a darker background would provide a little more contrast.
lighting and exposure are good.
6 is my favorite.

number 2 is definetly my favorite, i feel he is a bit "distant" or like alone in the other pics, but 2 is good..

i counted 4 dogs?

thanks guys.

tylerf: i agree that i hate the reflections, but im not sure how to do it without the reflection. im going to poke around and see what else i can find for decoration instead. hopefully it wont be shiny... :)

wimfoto: yea, sometime this week im going to reshoot either just leaves or just christmas stuff. will also give the black sheet a try i just thought initially it would be too dark for such a "cheery" holiday type shoot but after seeing these i think it could work with some color balancing it out.

instinct: yep, 3 puppies and 1 sort of grown up (1.5 yr old). still got 3 more to do, but 1 is too heavy for the table, another is too scared to be up there, and the other...well, she's too lazy to get off the couch lol. :D

Great shots !!!! #1 is my favorite, .. because that's exactly the way I feel every morning...

Backgrounds fine .... didn't even notice it - that's how good the photographs are.. :D

r

I really like the first one. The fifth is good, but maybe a little too close for my tastes. That first one is priceless though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back