What's new

Sparrow

Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
33
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this shot on a over cast day. Using Program mode, i adjusted the exposure just a tad, as well as ISO, but feel it may still lack some.. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice just by seeing this. It is a as is shot, no editing, other then the added watermark.

It was taken with a Sony a65 with a DT 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Zoom Lens. When I edit photo's I use Corel Paintshop pro x6 ultimate.

$DSC02998.webp
 
Last edited:
Hi

Listing what Camera, lens and editing software you are using may help others help you :thumbup:
 
I took this shot on a over cast day. Using Program mode, i adjusted the exposure just a tad, as well as ISO, but feel it may still lack some.. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice just by seeing this. It is a as is shot, no editing, other then the added watermark.

It was taken with a Sony a65 with a DT 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Zoom Lens. When I edit photo's I use Corel Paintshop pro x6 ultimate.

Well the bird is kind of a small portion of the overall frame and there really isn't much of interest in the background so maybe re-crop it to have the bird be a larger portion of the overall picture. That and maybe a lighten it up just a shade and increase the contrast a bit so that the bird stands out a little more from the background. Just my two cents worth of course, but that might be a good start.
 
Overall the shot is good in my opinion though the focus seems to be sharper on the background (two branches sticking up from below) than the subject.
 
Overall the shot is good in my opinion though the focus seems to be sharper on the background (two branches sticking up from below) than the subject.

I have noticed this as well.. I was off at a little distance, and had the lens extended to 300mm, it seems the auto focus has a hard time acquiring like this, as it happened to a few shots that day. I had adjusted the auto focus area from "wide" to "zone" trying to minimize this. Im still learning to manually "adjust" shots before taking them.
 
I took this shot on a over cast day. Using Program mode, i adjusted the exposure just a tad, as well as ISO, but feel it may still lack some.. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice just by seeing this. It is a as is shot, no editing, other then the added watermark.

It was taken with a Sony a65 with a DT 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Zoom Lens. When I edit photo's I use Corel Paintshop pro x6 ultimate.

Well the bird is kind of a small portion of the overall frame and there really isn't much of interest in the background so maybe re-crop it to have the bird be a larger portion of the overall picture. That and maybe a lighten it up just a shade and increase the contrast a bit so that the bird stands out a little more from the background. Just my two cents worth of course, but that might be a good start.

Something like this.. Or too much?$DSC02998.webp
 
Well keeping in mind that its all subjective of course I think the reedit is a big improvement. :-)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Well, thank you, will keep that in mind.. I am here to learn all i can, from all of you, as i want to improve and grow.
 
I have noticed this as well.. I was off at a little distance, and had the lens extended to 300mm...

If you can set the camera for a single focal point, focus on the birds eye then re-compose before taking the photo, that would likely help. I understand this sounds like a tall order, but I started shooting humming birds with a Minolta X-700 and 200mm F/4 manual lens.

Anthony
 
I have noticed this as well.. I was off at a little distance, and had the lens extended to 300mm...

If you can set the camera for a single focal point, focus on the birds eye then re-compose before taking the photo, that would likely help. I understand this sounds like a tall order, but I started shooting humming birds with a Minolta X-700 and 200mm F/4 manual lens.

Anthony

Thank you, will give this a try. I have not had the camera very long, so still learning it.
 
I have not had the camera very long, so still learning it.

I switched from film to digital last summer, still learning to use a DSLR.

Understand.. I started on a Fuji "bridge" camera, just to learn some of the basic controls of DSLR. When i got this Sony though, i found, i had some more learning to do.. I want to get to the point where i can shoot in Manual mode, and produce nice pictures.
 
I want to get to the point where i can shoot in Manual mode, and produce nice pictures.

Being able to shooting in manual is good as it means you understand the rules of exposure, but there is no reason not to use the computing power of your camera. I primarily photograph birds, in that pursuit I almost always use aperture priority, adjust ISO & WB for the setting, set f-stop for depth of field and let the camera set the shutter speed. There's no reason to carry a bag full of tools if you're only going to use the hammer.

Anthony
 
Sorry, but I do not like the edit. The bird is now too close and appears even more OOF. Plus you cropped out some of the most interesting forms of the branch, which were not the main subject, but added tremendously to the overall composition. Also, the bird looks a tad too saturated and less natural.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom