What's new

Sparrow

Sorry, but I do not like the edit. The bird is now too close and appears even more OOF. Plus you cropped out some of the most interesting forms of the branch, which were not the main subject, but added tremendously to the overall composition. Also, the bird looks a tad too saturated and less natural.

After looking at it for a bit, i tend to agree with you.. I always keep the ability to revert changes done to my photo's "good thing in my opinion"..
I did add just a tad bit more brightness to it, can you please tell me what you think of this, or if i should just leave it as is.

$DSC02998.webp
 
I want to get to the point where i can shoot in Manual mode, and produce nice pictures.

Being able to shooting in manual is good as it means you understand the rules of exposure, but there is no reason not to use the computing power of your camera. I primarily photograph birds, in that pursuit I almost always use aperture priority, adjust ISO & WB for the setting, set f-stop for depth of field and let the camera set the shutter speed. There's no reason to carry a bag full of tools if you're only going to use the hammer.

Anthony

I have dabbled with the aperture priority mode a few times, may need to try some more. I mainly like shooting birds as well, but will other wildlife if the chance arises. Restricted finances only allowed so much with the purchase of my new camera and lens. Reviews told me this lens would not do so well in low light, and would have trouble focusing at full length. I have run into both these problems, with the exception that the low light can be worked around some what with manual adjustments.
 
I have dabbled with the aperture priority mode a few times, may need to try some more. I mainly like shooting birds as well, but will other wildlife if the chance arises. Restricted finances only allowed so much with the purchase of my new camera and lens. Reviews told me this lens would not do so well in low light, and would have trouble focusing at full length. I have run into both these problems, with the exception that the low light can be worked around some what with manual adjustments.

Get the best glass you can afford and forget the new camera for now.
 
Sorry, but I do not like the edit. The bird is now too close and appears even more OOF. Plus you cropped out some of the most interesting forms of the branch, which were not the main subject, but added tremendously to the overall composition. Also, the bird looks a tad too saturated and less natural.

After looking at it for a bit, i tend to agree with you.. I always keep the ability to revert changes done to my photo's "good thing in my opinion"..
I did add just a tad bit more brightness to it, can you please tell me what you think of this, or if i should just leave it as is.

View attachment 68663

I would adjust the curves just a bit. I would show you but your photos are not OK to edit. Part of the issue is that your background is a very similar color to the bird.
 
Sorry, but I do not like the edit. The bird is now too close and appears even more OOF. Plus you cropped out some of the most interesting forms of the branch, which were not the main subject, but added tremendously to the overall composition. Also, the bird looks a tad too saturated and less natural.

After looking at it for a bit, i tend to agree with you.. I always keep the ability to revert changes done to my photo's "good thing in my opinion"..
I did add just a tad bit more brightness to it, can you please tell me what you think of this, or if i should just leave it as is.

View attachment 68663

I would adjust the curves just a bit. I would show you but your photos are not OK to edit. Part of the issue is that your background is a very similar color to the bird.

I just changed that setting, as i would like very much to see, and learn how to do what you are suggesting.
 
I have dabbled with the aperture priority mode a few times, may need to try some more. I mainly like shooting birds as well, but will other wildlife if the chance arises. Restricted finances only allowed so much with the purchase of my new camera and lens. Reviews told me this lens would not do so well in low light, and would have trouble focusing at full length. I have run into both these problems, with the exception that the low light can be worked around some what with manual adjustments.

Get the best glass you can afford and forget the new camera for now.

This being my first DSLR, the Sony a65 is a decent starter.. I love how it feels, and with the kit lens, that auto focus is astoundingly fast, and produces nice shots. The extra lens i obtained, is the one that is basically ok.. I am going to focus on learning the other aspects before discarding the lens completely though. Hopefully by then, i will be able to swing obtaining a better lens.
 
It's not a dramatic change, but very subtle. Just gives it a bit more pop and gets rid of some of the digital dullness.

editbird_zpsd1345298.jpg



It is two layers using curves. First layer looks like this. Just a little push at 2 points at the top.

scsh1_zpscb9c92e3.jpg



Second layer is also curves. Basically the same two points, but using a mask and painting the highlights on the bird only.

scsh2_zps97bb0eca.jpg



That's it!

Oh I cropped it just a tad.
 
It's not a dramatic change, but very subtle. Just gives it a bit more pop and gets rid of some of the digital dullness.

editbird_zpsd1345298.jpg



It is two layers using curves. First layer looks like this. Just a little push at 2 points at the top.

scsh1_zpscb9c92e3.jpg



Second layer is also curves. Basically the same two points, but using a mask and painting the highlights on the bird only.

scsh2_zps97bb0eca.jpg



That's it!

Oh I cropped it just a tad.

You lost me after you edited it...lol
I have not messed with layers yet, looks like i need to learn though. I can physically see the difference, even subtle, as before the branches kind of popped while the bird was a little dull, and now it is just the opposite.. Thank you for taking the time to show me this, im going to dig into my program, and see if i can learn how to do this.. It looks good...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom