ImSoQuazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
imsoquazy.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

My name is Paul. I live in the small town of Cutler, Ca (population was 5,000 at the 2010 census, up from 4,491 at the 2000 census). Most individuals here are afraid to "be counted" mainly because of the repercussions of being deported - but that's neither here nor there...

I registered to your forum not long ago with the hopes of learning more of what I find to be a fascinating art - Photography. I have been away from this forum researching camera and gear and have come home with some pretty cool toys (as of yesterday).

Today I am here because I would like your input...

A few months ago I purchased a "hardly used" Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 from ebay (just saying it makes me smile)
Yesterday I purchased Nikon's D600 from my local Best Buy. You should know that it was the Display model as these have become so scarce that I can not find one practically anywhere. Besides, I received a heck of a deal, I think.

Now to the question.

I wonder if it is a good idea to send this equipment back to NikonUsa for a "tune up". I have read many things about dust in the sensor on the D600 body. I don't know how to check for it myself.
The 70-200mm lens I'm considering sending it in as well, for good measure.

I wonder what specific instructions I should ask of Nikon to perform on these units.

What would you ask to service specifically?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

Maybe take a few shots of a clear blue sky, review them on your computer monitor. Zoom in, pan around and see if there is any issue at all.

Display models can generally be in pretty good condition and will likely only have taken photos indoors in good safe conditions. It's unlikely to have anything wrong with it (unless you happen to know that the store you bought it from treats its merchandise in a poor manner).

Dust on the sensor is a factor for any digital camera and you don't need to send it into Nikon to have that fixed. There are many kits you can buy and guides you can read online to clean the sensor. There are 3 basic types;

1) Air based. A natural air blower (like a Rocket Blower) is ideal as it puffs natural air over the sensor to move larger dust particles. Canned air should be avoided since it often contains liquids which will splatter over the sensor - if you must used compressed air use electrical compressed air (that is air used for cleaning electrical goods) so that you know its just pure air. Note don't spray for too long - nearly all compressed air comes out very cold - I've heard tale of people who have used so much compressed air that they froze their sensor.

2) Dry cleaning - dry wipes/brushes/tools that clean the sensor

3) Wet cleaning - using pads/tips that are moist to clean the sensor.

If you're in any confusion ask about specific products/methods you've found. You can do it at home or most camera stores will offer a sensor cleaning service.

AS for calibration elements this could be done by Nikon, however most items don't need it. Read up about testing lens sharpness and do a few tests just to make sure that your sharpness is good and your focusing is in the right place.
A simple test is to take a ruler (or lined paper or anything that is flat and has clear markings) and aim the camera at it at a 45 degree angle. Then use a single AF point and focus on a single marked line - use a wide aperture (small f number) like f2.8 and take a shot. Ideally you want to see the depth of field land where you focused over the line - if its way infront or behind then you've a focus calibration problem
Check a few focal lengths through the zoom lens as sometimes the problem only appears at a certain focal length.

In general just test the gear out and make sure it performs - if it does then you're fine to get out and shoot :)

Unless you have any particular complaints, just send in the camera for a checkup. Nikon will send you an estimate for the work, at which time you can see what they propose to do.

I would be more inclined to send the 70-200 to Nikon for a tune up. If you bought it from ebay, you have no idea how it was really used, and that is a lens that tends to some beating. The kinds of things that a tune-up/cleaning fixes are really difficult to notice until you get it back from the shop. For example, every time I've sent a lens off for cleaning, I notice that the zoom was a little sticky when I get it back. Also, its always nice to have a freshly cleaned lens.

Hello,

My name is Paul. I live in the small town of Cutler, Ca (population was 5,000 at the 2010 census, up from 4,491 at the 2000 census). Most individuals here are afraid to "be counted" mainly because of the repercussions of being deported - but that's neither here nor there...

I registered to your forum not long ago with the hopes of learning more of what I find to be a fascinating art - Photography. I have been away from this forum researching camera and gear and have come home with some pretty cool toys (as of yesterday).

Today I am here because I would like your input...

A few months ago I purchased a "hardly used" Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 from ebay (just saying it makes me smile)
Yesterday I purchased Nikon's D600 from my local Best Buy. You should know that it was the Display model as these have become so scarce that I can not find one practically anywhere. Besides, I received a heck of a deal, I think.

Now to the question.

I wonder if it is a good idea to send this equipment back to NikonUsa for a "tune up". I have read many things about dust in the sensor on the D600 body. I don't know how to check for it myself.
The 70-200mm lens I'm considering sending it in as well, for good measure.

I wonder what specific instructions I should ask of Nikon to perform on these units.

What would you ask to service specifically?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

First, congrats to Culver on the massive population explosion. 500+ people in ten years, almost 50 people a year. At this rate you should be the same size as New York in no time, so keep up the good work folks! As to the camera equipment, I'm a firm believer in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So I'd test the equipment and see if you notice anything that affects the image, make sure the lens focuses properly, etc - and if it works then don't worry about it and be happy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back