Speedlight

good choice. As much as I like these cheap flashes for casual use, the Name Brand ones are truely a step above.

Braineack said:
good choice. As much as I like these cheap flashes for casual use, the Name Brand ones are truely a step above.

Good to hear back from you, and to find that you bought a Nikon SB-800 speedlight and are finding it to be a good flash unit. Again, let me mention the "fifth battery" compartment for the SB-800; if you have that accessory compartment and trap-door, by all means use it when you will need to shoot flash shots more quickly or for a longer period of time.

Like Braineack mentioned, Name Brand often does mean a step above the knock-offs or substitutes. One thing to keep in mind moving forward is that Nikon's top professional-grade gear (like the SB-800 was, their absolute top of the range model), and its top serious enthusiast gear (like the SB 700 was and the SB 600 before that) is often better-engineered, better-performing, and better constructed than the very top range of the cheap knock-off gear; this has been true since everything was made in Japan, and its even more true today. ANd even after higher-end Nikon equipment has been replaced by newer models, the "old stuff" is often much-loved and used by many.

I love my Phottix Mitros+ flashes, great as a single flash, and easy to expand, as it has a built in transceiver.

Most reactions

Back