Spider

Nice shot. I can't photograph any spider I find in the house. We have cats and dogs and can't risk them getting away, cats if could kill our pets if one of them at a spider.

Every time I come to read a reply I have to scroll past the pics ... and it creeps me out to think that he is STILL IN MY BASEMENT! ...

Nice shot. I can't photograph any spider I find in the house. We have cats and dogs and can't risk them getting away, cats if could kill our pets if one of them at a spider.

Nope.
That's not how the poison works.
The poison has to get into the blood stream.
It it gets eaten, it gets broken down and digested. It might make em sick, but kill it will not.
Some of you would crap your pants if you knew how many Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cotton mouth moccasins, coral snakes and whatnot I have caught by hand.

LightSpeed - Likes spiders and snakes, especially the poisonous ones because they are more colorful.

Nope.
That's not how the poison works.
The poison has to get into the blood stream.
It it gets eaten, it gets broken down and digested. It might make em sick, but kill it will not.
Some of you would crap your pants if you knew how many Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cotton mouth moccasins, coral snakes and whatnot I have caught by hand.

LightSpeed - Likes spiders and snakes, especially the poisonous ones because they are more colorful.

It's not always the poison you worry about. Sometimes the exterior bodies can be too much for the cats to handle.

I agree, nice capture! I love taking insect pictures. I used to be our troop counselor for the Insect Merit Badge--most of them don't bother me at all. I remember one time, all the 13- and 14-year old boys at summer camp, running up to MY tent, yelling because there was a giant spider in one of THEIR tents...It WAS humongous, but it was just a wolf spider. Wish I'd gotten a picture of it!

Snakes don't much bother me either.

I'll pick up spiders and most of the insects, as long as I know they're not poisonous. But the one thing I simply CANNOT abide: cockroaches/palmetto bugs. Oh yeah, those things are little insect demons straight out of the pit of hell!! The scourge of the earth. It is the reason I would NEVER consider living in Florida or Texas or S. Carolina. Even the "little" cockroaches we get here in TN, ugh!! Now, THEY make me scream like a girl! Don't know why, I simply can't abide them.
My rule is, if I see a cockroach in my house, I kill it. If I see a SECOND cockroach, I move. :lol:

sm4him said:
I agree, nice capture! I love taking insect pictures. I used to be our troop counselor for the Insect Merit Badge--most of them don't bother me at all. I remember one time, all the 13- and 14-year old boys at summer camp, running up to MY tent, yelling because there was a giant spider in one of THEIR tents...It WAS humongous, but it was just a wolf spider. Wish I'd gotten a picture of it!

Snakes don't much bother me either.

I'll pick up spiders and most of the insects, as long as I know they're not poisonous. But the one thing I simply CANNOT abide: cockroaches/palmetto bugs. Oh yeah, those things are little insect demons straight out of the pit of hell!! The scourge of the earth. It is the reason I would NEVER consider living in Florida or Texas or S. Carolina. Even the "little" cockroaches we get here in TN, ugh!! Now, THEY make me scream like a girl! Don't know why, I simply can't abide them.
My rule is, if I see a cockroach in my house, I kill it. If I see a SECOND cockroach, I move. :lol:

I've only seen a cockroach once in my life. It was at a mall in Delaware (I think). My mom grabbed a pair of paints that were hanging up on a circular rack - she just pulled the pants out to show me and there was this HUGE cockroach on the pants. Needless to say I didn't buy anything from that mall!!

I don't know if we have cockroaches up here but I've never seen one here!

Any idea what kind of spider it is?

I think it might be a Brown Recluse, which are VERY dangerous. More so than Black Widows.

Ahh' the texture on the floor and the composition, I like a lot.

I think it might be a Brown Recluse, which are VERY dangerous. More so than Black Widows.

I wasn't gonna go there...but yeah, it *does* look like it could be a brown recluse, and you do NOT want to get bitten by one of those!

On the other hand, it could also be one of a large number of brown recluse "look-a-likes" including the house spider. I want to say it's not quite dark enough for a brown recluse, and it's abdomen area looks too mottled, or something...but it's really hard to tell. And I'm not a spider expert...just what I learned during my Insect merit badge years.

If you could go hunt that thing back down and get a photo looking straight down on top of it, instead of at an angle, that might help identify it. :lol:

I've only seen a cockroach once in my life. It was at a mall in Delaware (I think). My mom grabbed a pair of paints that were hanging up on a circular rack - she just pulled the pants out to show me and there was this HUGE cockroach on the pants. Needless to say I didn't buy anything from that mall!!

I don't know if we have cockroaches up here but I've never seen one here!

That's the price we pay in the south for our warm winters! On the whole, it's a trade-off that I'm willing to put up with!

You guys are really creeping me out **shudder** just found out brown recluses are found around here (midwest Ontario) I'm not sure I wanted to know that... and erm no .. sorry .. not going to go and hunt him down...

That was my first thought too but not 100% sure. A friend of mine got bitten by a brown recluse, and the next place he visited right after that was the emergency room.

We have roaches here in Ontario. When we first moved here, we visited a Chinese restaurant in Alliston ON, ordered food & while waiting watched roaches walking the chair rail of the wainscoting.

I know bakeries in London ON, where I grew up, also had them.

I'm going to say that this is her...

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Questions/What i6318.jpg

I'm Nikki from Sherwood Park Alberta. I found this in my drawer November 14. We have snow here now. I'm wondering what kind it is. Thanks
This appears to be a female funnel web spider (family Agelenidae) in the genus Tegenaria, such as Tegenaria domestica - see http://tinyurl.com/8x3bmgk for an image. Large specimens are capable if inflicting a painful (but not dangerous) bite if mishandled. Ed Saugstad, retired entomologist; Sinks Grove, WV.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back