One way to deal with the distraction of the brilliant colors is to blur the background still further [exposure] and then kick the whole shebang over to b&w or sepia [post processing.]
To me the colors are what makes this shot, but I agree they should be a little less focused. The biggest thing I'd try to change is the glare in the top right.
I'm never up and outside early enough to get these shots except for when I'm rushing to get to work....
oops..sorry! hehe I've got a photo of a morning glory with a very narrow DOF. In the background was another morning glory - you couldn't make out that's what it was because there were some water droplets on it and the sun hit it just right to make an annoying glare..just assumed that's what happened here as well. No offense intended....if the glare works for you, keep it! My opinion is that it's a bit distracting...but I'm definitely an amateur also, so take that for what it's worth.