Sports is hard! Football Pics. Also Tamron no good for sports.

Good job on these, the only thing I would suggest is a tighter crop on some of them. There is always so much going on during every football game, and it doesn't always translate into great images, nothing wrong with the content in this series though.

This is high praise indeed! I did think halfway though that I now appreciate how hard it is to get the shots that you produce.

One of the reasons this lens is so remarkable in the first place is that you can get a shot that's good enough to imagine how much better a $10k lens might have been.

Haha true. It has shown me the world of huge focal lengths and I want more! But I can either get a new lens or a nice second hand car...

Thanks.

I hope to do another game during the day. I had so many well framed action shots that had way too much motion blur. I was lucky to get above 1/250 for the whole thing. I had the ISO pegged as well.
Welcome to the world of high school night games. Remember to shoot wide open for the day game, otherwise you'll get a lot of distracting background detail.

Gary

Gary, dude--f/5.6 and f/6.3 ARE wide-open on that Tanmzooka!!! lol. I thought runnah did a pretty good job, considering that he was stuck in that f/5.6~f/6.3 zone...lucky he was able to get decent images at ISO 8,000 and ISO 10,000. I looked at some of the EXIF info...slow shutter speeds like 1/320 and 1/250, which is not that deleterious **if** the action is coming right toward the camera position, but it otherwise pretty much a pan-and-pray deal. The 5D-III delivered pretty clean shots at High ISO and it looks like decent focusing with a pokey lens at night under the lights.

Runnah, I think you managed to get some good frames, even though the lens used was working against you in most ways.
Okay, didn't realize the limitations of the lens. lol Rent, borrow or steal something faster. You're shooting Canon ... if you're in the area I'll fix you up with a few f/2.8 puppies. Did you handhold the camera? (You'll want those f/2.8's even for the day game."

Gary

Okay, didn't realize the limitations of the lens. lol Rent, borrow or steal something faster. You're shooting Canon ... if you're in the area I'll fix you up with a few f/2.8 puppies. Did you handhold the camera? (You'll want those f/2.8's even for the day game."

Gary

Lol, thanks for the concern but this was a one off type of thing. I did it just to see how things would perform. I did use a monopod.

The monopod helps. I shot a soccer match, on a hot day, handholding a Bigma. By the end of the game I was very selective when I brought it up to my eye.

As for sports being hard, it's like anything else if you shoot enough it does become easier. Understanding the sports you are going to shoot makes a huge difference as well. The other thing is the flow of the game, boring games are more challenging than exciting games, good games help you get mentally into shooting.

You did a great job and you did it without knowing the game, plus you did it with a lens that is afraid of the dark !!!!!

Just another example that the button pusher is just as, if not more important than the button.

I was using the new tamron. I did switch to my f/4 70-200 but it was too short and still pretty dark. A 2.8 would have been perfect.

Yeah I have a hard time following the plays. They did a bunch of fake hand offs and the tricked me more than it did the defense.

The game was an absolute blow out. They were playing 3rd string guys in the second half and still scoring.

You did a great job and you did it without knowing the game, plus you did it with a lens that is afraid of the dark !!!!!

Just another example that the button pusher is just as, if not more important than the button.

My genius knows no bounds ;)

Nice set. Big lens aren't really needed if you can move with the plays along the sideline. The last game I went to I shot from the stands with 70-200 with 1.4 tc and got some ok pictures. Under the Lights | Photography Forum

Your pictures are pretty good, they aren't to noisy and your lighting is better then some fields. A lot of the fields I shoot at really small schools and the lighting is super blochey and the endzones are dark. I also use a Sigma 70-200 and it does pretty good but I also know the coaches so i get to really roam the side lines with some of the teams. I would definitely like to buy a bigger lens in the future!

I grew up looking at B&W sports shot on Tri X pushed to 1600. I don't even notice the noise. Nice shots

Most reactions

New Topics

Back