Sports Photography

canonbraden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright I really need people to talk to about sports photography, preferably Canon users because I have a Canon, so I can know what steps I need to take to get better

Step 1:
Shoot a sporting event

Step 2:
edit the photos

Step 3:
ask for c&c or help and post them here. Good bad or indifferent, you will learn something

look forward to seeing some photos

Step 1:
Shoot a sporting event

Step 2:
edit the photos

Step 3:
ask for c&c or help and post them here. Good bad or indifferent, you will learn something

look forward to seeing some photos

This list above is missing a step

Step 1: Shoot a sporting event

Step 2: edit the photos

Step 3: ask for c&c or help and post them here. Good bad or indifferent, you will learn something

Step 4: go to step 1

Practicing shooting anything that moves fast. Cars, dog, birds, etc..

They key to sports is getting the subject in focus and the action capture as fast as possible.

go watch this it will help tremendously

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thank you! Should I shoot in sports mode or manual?

he will comment on that but i personally shoot in manual

Really? I always shoot in shutter priority.

but what are you shooting? why do you shoot in that particular setting? Im very particular about each and every setting I want to be able to change the shutter speed along with the f stop and adjust if im not getting the results i like because with shutter priority the camera gets to make those decisions for you and they will adjust sometime without you noticing based of the light.. wwhich means you may not get the same shot as before because your f stop is a stop higher or lower.. I dont believe your wrong or im right just a different way of doing something.

Well for example I like to shoot winter sports. More often I don't have more than a few second with the subject in frame. So I want to action and focus to be sharp.

Really? I always shoot in shutter priority.
I also shoot manual as I want to control both the f/stop and shutter speed.

If you still want a semi-auto option in manual, try using the auto-ISO option.

Seems like we all have different shooting styles. Im a big fan of sports mode mostly because I take rapid shots, but I will be trying other modes come baseball season.

Seems like we all have different shooting styles. Im a big fan of sports mode mostly because I take rapid shots, but I will be trying other modes come baseball season.

Sports mode is a total waste of time dont have it on my cameras luckily

Curious, what does "rapid shots' mean and what does it have to do with using sports mode?

What mode I use when shooting sports (primarily motorsports) depends on the conditions. IF the light is not going to change (i.e. no clouds and I intend to face the same direction all the time) I'll use manual after metering on something neutral. If it's any kind of cloudy or I may be shooting in different directions (which is about 90% of the time) then I use shutter priority.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back