Sports photography

Palmag

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to take photos at a netball game, the game is being played indoors under artificial light. I'm using my SLR camera (Canon FTb)and I was wondering what settings should I be using, ie aerture, speed and the like,
Also if anyone has had much experience with this type of photography any tips would be tremendously appreciated!

Thanks all

All I can tell you is get higher ISO films. Also, you have to feel like the athelete, meaning that you have to predict his/her next movement. For example, a basketball player is going to do a lay-up. You can't click at the movement cus you will miss it, but you have to feel the movement and click when it happens.

Thanks for your quick reply, I will take your suggestions on board, currently my camera is loadeed with ISO 400 film, you think this is ok?

Not too sure. It also depends on your lens. If I am using my Nikkor ED AF 70~300mm F4~5.6 lens, it's definitely not bright enough.

I have never tried ISO 800 film with it before, but that's what I will suggest.

Another option is flash.

You can rate that ISO 400 film at 1600. Then I would suggest setting your shutterspeed to at least 1/250 and then adjust aperture to get correct exposure. You might get away with 1/125 if the athletes are not moving when you press the shutter.

With the film rated at 1600 you should be able to have it processed normally. Color print film has at least that much exposure latitude built in.

I would recommend at least ISO 800 and shutter speeds of 1/250s or faster. At a minimum I would recomend aperatures of f/4 or better, really depends on the focal length of your lens and the how far you are away from the action, to make sure your subject(s) are in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back