"Spring Flooding" | How I Shot and Edited | Blog Post

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had many photographers (especially on Instagram) ask me how I shoot and edit, so I made a little blog post the other day about how I approach a scene, how I shoot, how I edit, basically a start-to-finish tutorial. Figured I'd share it here as well, to see what you thought? What did I leave out? Is it coherent? Comprehensive? Feel free to be brutal--that's the only way I'll learn.

quot Spring Flooding quot Landscape Photography Tutorial Red Skies Photography (the link is to my website, not some rando virus, I promise).

A bit on post processing:

Now, on to post-processing: I'm not going to bother showing you exactly what value each slider had in Lightroom, as no two images are alike and copy and pasting settings from one to the next means little. But in general, I've found that I really like the look and feel of cool and desaturated post-processing, especially on water/rock shots with snow and ice. I think it helps maintain the mood of the cold air and water, which is important. I boosted the shadows, knocked back the highlights, increased clarity, selectively cooled the temperature of the water (the tannins and iron in New England's fresh water leads to heavily browned water, which doesn't always fit the final image I have in mind, so I often desaturate/cool the water in post-processing). I added some moderate contrast in the curves, removed the slight barrel distortion and vignetting that the 16-35 has, added some sharpness, and a few other minor edits. This is full-frame, and un-cropped. Notice any vignetting from the filters? Neither do I! (Likely the BEST attribute of the Lee 100mm system, wide angle adapter, and landscape polarizer--nothing beats being able to polarize and ND a 16mm full frame image without fear of vignetting!)

And the final image, if you're not into clicking links.

"Spring Flooding" by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Last edited:
Great image, great write-up.

Thanks! I had hoped it would be helpful as a "peeling back the curtain" type article [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read your write up, very detailed. Good work.

Read your write up, very detailed. Good work.

Thanks man! I've really started to get comfortable and confident with landscape photography. It's amazing how much I've improved in the year that I've been honestly at this.

Jake

I was about to ask, "where have you been young man"....but now I see.
Hadn't seen you on the Forum in a while.
Nice of you to help us

Very nice image and write-up Jake! :smile:

Nice image. Write-up has good detail and very informative.

Nice image. Write-up has good detail and very informative.

Good to know you like the write up--I'm still new to the blogging bit, and it's good to hear positive reviews on it. [emoji106]

I was about to ask, "where have you been young man"....but now I see.
Hadn't seen you on the Forum in a while.
Nice of you to help us

Yeah I'm still around! [emoji5]️

Nice write-up and image. Thanks for sharing.

This is the kind of thing that really helps beginners. It gives them background info and helps them understand some of the gear they might need. It will tell them too that getting some shots takes a lot of discipline. Really good.

A minor point: always hold your phone the other way for movie recordings.
:)

This is the kind of thing that really helps beginners. It gives them background info and helps them understand some of the gear they might need. It will tell them too that getting some shots takes a lot of discipline. Really good.

A minor point: always hold your phone the other way for movie recordings.
:)

Oops! Hadn't even thought of the phone orientation bit.... d'Oh!

Thanks for the kind words on the write up [emoji5]️

I know as a beginner or aspiring amateur I would have loved to read an article like this--that's mostly why I made it.

Most reactions

Back