St. George Parish Church in Sunrise HDR - Built in 1717

QuadTap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please be honest... i'm trying to improve. This is my first real attempt at HDR.

It's the Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester - St. George's, an Anglican parish, was erected 1717. A brick church 50ft long and 30 ft wide with a chancel 15 by 5 feet, begun in August 1719, was enlarged in the 1730's. The tower was built before 1753 and in 1766 held four bells. Burned by the British in the Revolution, the church was partially repaired and used afterwards but as the congregation moved away, if fell into decay.

6709857437_32dfb0a44a_b.jpg

Attempt #2 ... tried to level it out... didn't know what to do about the flair so just killed it with black. tried the layer pass through idea for the sky ... what do you think .. better? worse?

churchz.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. :thumbup: But I'm a big fan of HDR pictures of all types.

Ok, I am not an anti HDR guy, so take this with a grain of salt. HDR guys may love this the way it is, but here's my opinion.

Talking only about the processing here, not the composition, which I really like other then it's crooked.

If you were to take this HDR and paste it as a layer over the original in photoshop and mask it, paint away some of the HDR layer on the building to retain some of the shadows I think you would have a really great shot here. The HDR really works on the sides especially the sunny side, but looses all the emotion on the structure.
Sky is a little baked, but you can paint some away lightly.

I have said it before, you have to have shadows to convey emotion.

Keep in mind, this is nothing you can't do in photoshop with adjustment layers and have more control.

thank you so much for the critique. i was fighting with my $30 tripod on the hill this morning. i tried to get it level while shooting but honestly didn't consider it during post... rookie mistake. GREAT idea about layering in PS / Gimp. Thanks again!!

I love this. A bit magical actually. I always wanted to try and shoot few photos for HDR imaging.. maybe one day I will post something on here. Great job on your photo. Looks awesome

thank you so much for the critique. i was fighting with my $30 tripod on the hill this morning. i tried to get it level while shooting but honestly didn't consider it during post... rookie mistake. GREAT idea about layering in PS / Gimp. Thanks again!!

Does your tripod head not pivot? Or is it one of those where you have to adjust the leg length to level it?

I really like this one. Couldn't you have leveled it in ps?

see first post for second attempt... thanks so much for the help!!!

I know that I'm a noob, but I like the slant of the building, gives that wide angle, fish eye, look. Maybe it would look better if the ground curved the other way though...

These are fantastic!!!!

thank you

FYI

It's the Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester - St. George's, an Anglican parish, was erected 1717. A brick church 50ft long and 30 ft wide with a chancel 15 by 5 feet, begun in August 1719, was enlarged in the 1730's. The tower was built before 1753 and in 1766 held four bells. Burned by the British in the Revolution, the church was partially repaired and used afterwards but as the congregation moved away, if fell into decay.

The first one is definitely better, imho.

The composition is working for me. The tower is framed by some branches, the sun is, imo, nicely placed. One thing I miss is more foreground. That would "stretch out" the scene, giving it more depth. And I don't like the trees that are growing out of the frame on the right..

As for your processing: I'm not sure. I don't like the way the sky looks. Ghosting in the clouds and stuff. If you were using photomatix, I'd bump up the highlight smoother - that can work wonders on skies. There i also some weird stuff going on on the left hand edge of the tower - some weird smudging. I'd wish you corrected for the perspective, meaning straightening the vertical lines (photoshop: ctrl+= free transform. hold ctrl whilst pulling the corners outward).

very good suggestions thank you

Most reactions

New Topics

Back