Stalemate Macro CC

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bored raining and thought I would find something to capture. I had to make a makeshift lightbox...and diffuser lol, I will post a picture of that later. You will get a kick out of it. You can be down right cruel if you want, this is my first real macro. I know the light is a little harsh in spots on the back pieces.

I just got set of Hoya Macro filters int he mail today, this was with a +4 and +2 stacked.

Canon 50mm 1/200 @ f10 with speedlight ex380
_MG_8227.jpg

I think just a hair more space at the bottom would improve it. IMO I really like the color and composition though. I really really like this shot.

really cool. I think the composition and idea is just great.
You can see just enough of the board to figure out the situation. I think the way you composed the 3 pieces gives equal compositional weight to both white and black... a true stalemate.

That's some good work. Also, no fringe from CA that macro filters sometimes enhance like mad..

I love the outline on the black piece and the focus and DOF are good for this shot I think.

I sort of agree a little space on the bottom couldn't hurt but that's pretty minor.

Here is one with a little more of the bottom, I left it out because of the patern on the edges of the chess board.
_MG_8229.jpg

and here is the setup! lol, the light above me was too harsh, it's a ceiling fan and the lights don't have any shades over them. So I decided to go grab some tissue paper, then the flash being that close (only about 10 inches or so) was overpowering and too direct, so I decided to wrap it in tissue paper and grab my off shoe cord to get the flash overhead (of course not having any stand I had to hold it in my free hand)
102_2866Large.jpg

Here's a B&W with a little space. I think I like the color better though. Thoughts?
_MG_8229-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back