Standard and Multi Coated Filters

FrankLamont

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a 58mm UV filter.

I've decided on Hoya.

But there are three types, and that's the confusing part.

A standard, HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) and Super HMC.

HMC has about 97%+ light transmission, Super HMC around 99%.

Unsure about the standard.

The prices are respectively: $32, $48 and $63.

The standard, note, is not multi coated - but it's not a single layer! It has coating on both sides, and that's the confusing part.

I'm on a really, really, really tight budget, having recently bought a whole stack of items. I don't think I'll consider the Super, actually. Is it worth the $16 bucks for HMC, when the standard is already layered on both sides?

I'm looking to buy a 58mm UV filter.

I've decided on Hoya.

But there are three types, and that's the confusing part.

A standard, HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) and Super HMC.

HMC has about 97%+ light transmission, Super HMC around 99%.

Unsure about the standard.

The prices are respectively: $32, $48 and $63.

The standard, note, is not multi coated - but it's not a single layer! It has coating on both sides, and that's the confusing part.

I'm on a really, really, really tight budget, having recently bought a whole stack of items. I don't think I'll consider the Super, actually. Is it worth the $16 bucks for HMC, when the standard is already layered on both sides?

Where are you shopping cause those prices are kinda high. Based on reviews at B&H, the HMC seems to be much better than the standard. The SHMC seems to be even better yet thought it's hard to tell how much. The way I look at it, I'd rather spend a tad more on the filter....I spent 400 bucks on my Tammy 17-50 f2.8 because of it's sharpness...I don't want to counter that in one instance by a cheap filter.

Standard 58mm $14.85
Hoya | 58mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Haze Glass Filter | 580030 | B&H

HMC 58mm $22.35
Hoya | 58mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Haze Multi-Coated Glass | 583031

SHMC 58mm $35.85
Hoya | 58mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Super Multi-Coated | 588036 | B&H

At the very least, it's worth the extra 7 bucks for the HMC over the standard...to me it's worth the 13 bucks extra for the SHMC over the HMC since it helps reduce glare.

Oh, and I'm in the same boat and getting ready to order the Hoya SHMC for my Tamron.

Multi coated filters are able to resist flare better than non-coated.......it just depends on what you want the filter for.. The quality of the glass for each brand is similar.

If it's for protection, then get the one you can afford but if you find yourself shooting directly into the sun, or harsh sunlight is coming at sharp angles across the lens, take the filter off...... It's a tool, just like any other tool and not always right for the application.

If you don't have a good hood, then it too can cut down considerably on flare from light across the face.

Why do people always correct my price?

It's in Australia. The price is high, most unfortunately.

I don't want to buy overseas; the cost of shipping simply goes way past the price here.

So... the multi coated or both side coated standard?

I don't want to buy overseas; the cost of shipping simply goes way past the price here.

So... the multi coated or both side coated standard?

Maybe you can consider enter your location info so that other knows you are in Australia. In general, when people post price here, they usually assume it is in US dollars.

Get the SHMC. It's the best quality vs value in their lineup. The higher end ones aren't worth the extra cost.

Check out 2filter.com

Right.

So, I've decided on the $48 AUD HMC filter from Hoya.

But that's only if I do get a UV filter. I wouldn't want one unless it provided adequate protection. It does, though.

Yet many say that it decreases the image quality. Multi coating minimises ghosting and flaring, does it not? 97% light transmission...

And they say you can buy a UV filter, but then leave it off unless you're in a wet or dusty, etc situation. However, I don't really see the point of getting one if I'm leaving it off most of the time.

So I could consider a lens hood - but if I drop it, will it still give protection for that? And against rain and dirt?

If anyone has done the reflection test on the Hoya HMC and it had hardly any reflection, or if you have examined photos and can tell me the results, please do.

...alternatively, I can consider a clear filter just for protection? Or the UV filter is a better choice?

Get a good quality UV or Skylight filter (skylights warm the color slightly).

Leave it on all the time.. (unless you change to another filter like a CPL)

You cannot measure IQ degradation without help from NASA.

Professionals and Hollywood film crews have been using filters for protection, as well as special affects, for decades........ it's cheap insurance..

To avoid confusion in the future go into the User CP and enter your location (Australia) in 'Edit Your Details'.

Anyone used a Digital Concepts multicoated UV filter?

They're about 28 bucks cheaper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back