standing up for myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all have our own opinions i suppose, and we all think out own opinions are correct.

I do not have a 13 yr old child, my 6 yr old is being brought up to respect people and how to act in certain circumstances.
meaning he may act differently with his friends as oppose to his grandmother.

can we close this thread now, as it is bringing out the worst in me.

In any case the word ***** is not offensive as 'proper' swear words, nor in america OR here in England.... from wiki...

'Sometime during the late 1990s or early 2000s, the term "*****" became more and more accepted and less offensive, and is now very rarely censored on television broadcasts or otherwise. Prior to the term's general acceptance, euphemism terms were often substituted, such as "gun" in the phrase "son of a gun". More generally the term has also acquired the meaning of something unpleasant or irksome, as in the expression "Life's a *****".'

If someone were to use the 'C' or 'F' word frequently and no good reason then that would be a good reason to use the report button.

I believe this is due largely in part to the words original meaning, in a similar way to damn and hell, thay have a meaning other than profanity where as the F word is just that profanity.

I do not even know what it means, since I am one of those speaking broken English only :p

Anyway, while travelling the world I realised, that some phrases in American sound mortally offensive and terribly rude to the English, while
some phrases we use in everyday English might have the same effect on Americans.

The degree of rudeness which is assigned to a phrase just depends
on geography. Some phrases even have totally different meanings depending on if you are in the US or the UK.

I think she meant people who speak English as a first language and butcher it badly.

You and Lafoto both speak better English than MAAAAANY many people I know here and online that do speak it as a first language.

duty_calls.png

Courtesy of XKCD

maybe if you really did laugh that it why America it is such the state that it is.

I have to say this and then I'm wiping my hands (or close my eyes, which ever the case lol!) of this thread.

Jols I think your remark is a pretty political remark as well as a very ignorant remark. If you are basing your view of America and why it may or may not be the way it is on this forum/thread/post/whatever, than I feel sorry for you.
On the off-topic chat, some things you just take with a grain of salt. However, to my recollection, I've never reported a post on any thread of any forum that I take part in but in my opinion, if you feel the need to report a thread, take a step back and look at the post. Look at the person who is making the remark and what context that it is being said. On occassion, I may see a post that I feel may be a bit out of line but I look at who is making the remark and to who they are making it. Read other people's responses to the said remark and if necessary, go back and read other posts the person has made. If the "offender" is repeatedly making rude remarks, then by all means report them. However, you may find just the opposite-that is a joke, said to a friend. It sounds like a lot of work but it really only takes a few seconds to navigate around the forum.
Also, I want to nitpick on one thing. You always make the excuse that you are English so you don't understand some things. I totally understand that different countries have their own sayings, terms, cultures and that is fine but you use that excuse all the time. My mom's best friend lives in England and she uses the term *****-slap and the thinks that it is funny. I say this not to offend ANYONE from a different country, I just wonder why you always fall back on that?
At any rate, I'm confused because just a couple weeks ago, you said you found other places to interest you besides TPF and that you would be back now and again, that "other pastures await you". If you find that this forum doesn't interest you & you are offended by things people say, then why do you still come around? I'm just curious. I say nothing to offend, but I don't understand.

I come back because I want to.

The term '***** slap' is used in England by rough people and if your friends mum finds it funny then she would be someone I would not be mixing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back