cigrainger
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Feb 2, 2007
- Messages
- 480
- Reaction score
- 1
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so, I'm back after a long hiatus, and ready to delve completely into the world of the digital (I went down the road of film too long for a poor student who couldn't afford development costs...). I have around $1600-1700 to spend to start off, and will probably add another lens or two over the summer (not expensive stuff, perhaps a cheap/fast wide-normal prime).
I usually shoot street and travel photography, cityscapes, landscape, etc. but with friends and family thrown in. Most of what I do is wide to normal -- telephoto is fun for me, but not something I'd like to throw a lot of money at right now. I shoot pretty much exclusively available light stuff, and love fast primes around 28-35.
I'm also a sucker for build quality. I bang around my stuff, and my Pentax ME-F has been a strong companion for a while now. I was put off by the poor build quality in the K100D, and in my brief use of the K10D was much happier. I like a rugged, hefty camera that will last a long time (because I'm going to law school, I will not have money to upgrade for a few years yet).
So which do you think? I would buy either used on KEH or Adorama. It's between starting with:
Nikon D300 and Nikkor 12-24/4 or
Canon 5D and Canon 17-40/4L
I'm leaning towards the 5D because of the full frame. The crop factor annoys me and I like wides/ultrawides. I also like the idea of being able to buy built for film primes relatively cheap, and have them show the right focal length! 50s, to me, should be normal, not telephoto!
On the other hand, I know the D300 is the newer design and perhaps with better autofocus and 14 vs 12 bit raw encoding. I also do think the Nikon has better ergonomics, but I don't perceive as dramatic a difference there as many people do.
For the Nikon, I would probably add the Sigma 30/1.4 (I hate the look of photos produced with the Nikkor 35/1.8) and Nikkor 55-200 VR. For the Canon, I'd probably add the Canon 50/1.4, but if I wanted a zoom telephoto w/ IS I'd probably have to shell out for the 70-300/4-5.6.
So which, do you guys think, is the better system for me to start in, with the given information and the probable short-term expansion? I know Canon v Nikon is the perennial question, and you can't go wrong, etc. but give it to me straight. Is the 5D outdated now?
I usually shoot street and travel photography, cityscapes, landscape, etc. but with friends and family thrown in. Most of what I do is wide to normal -- telephoto is fun for me, but not something I'd like to throw a lot of money at right now. I shoot pretty much exclusively available light stuff, and love fast primes around 28-35.
I'm also a sucker for build quality. I bang around my stuff, and my Pentax ME-F has been a strong companion for a while now. I was put off by the poor build quality in the K100D, and in my brief use of the K10D was much happier. I like a rugged, hefty camera that will last a long time (because I'm going to law school, I will not have money to upgrade for a few years yet).
So which do you think? I would buy either used on KEH or Adorama. It's between starting with:
Nikon D300 and Nikkor 12-24/4 or
Canon 5D and Canon 17-40/4L
I'm leaning towards the 5D because of the full frame. The crop factor annoys me and I like wides/ultrawides. I also like the idea of being able to buy built for film primes relatively cheap, and have them show the right focal length! 50s, to me, should be normal, not telephoto!
On the other hand, I know the D300 is the newer design and perhaps with better autofocus and 14 vs 12 bit raw encoding. I also do think the Nikon has better ergonomics, but I don't perceive as dramatic a difference there as many people do.
For the Nikon, I would probably add the Sigma 30/1.4 (I hate the look of photos produced with the Nikkor 35/1.8) and Nikkor 55-200 VR. For the Canon, I'd probably add the Canon 50/1.4, but if I wanted a zoom telephoto w/ IS I'd probably have to shell out for the 70-300/4-5.6.
So which, do you guys think, is the better system for me to start in, with the given information and the probable short-term expansion? I know Canon v Nikon is the perennial question, and you can't go wrong, etc. but give it to me straight. Is the 5D outdated now?