Starting from the ground up...Gonna need some help....

Thanks all!

Here are a few of the first pics I took after opening up the camera. I COMPLETELY realize they are terribly taken. I just wanted to give you all an idea of the types of landscape pics I am looking to take, as well as show you what I've done so far. I'm sure many of you will be able to automatically pick up on some basic things I'm doing wrong. Feedback is wanted and greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again for everyone's help!

wow...those infrared pics look amazing! can i find infrared filters easily on ebay? Also, are there specific settings for infrared? (Don't worry, I'll defeinitely be researching this. I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt!)

Thanks for all your help dxq!

These are so bad for your first shots. What did you have the ISO set too? Try halfing it as these appear to be a bit over exposed on my monitor.

Be sure your using your lens hoods so you an avoid flare, however, when shooting directly into the sun that is impossible to avoid.

If your doing a lot of landscape work then you may think about using a graduated ND filter as that will allow the exposure of the sky and the ground to be closer and not have one be over and the other under exposed.

Any good website recommendations for film? Buying it locally doesn't offer much of a selections..
I bought a 100' roll of Tri-X and some canisters from B&H, last year when I was taking a film class; I found a couple of Watson loaders on eBay for $15.

Ann: I was just using the viewfiender light as a guide for my ISO...whenever it was lit green inside there, I thought I was at the right setting. And, I'll go online and pickup an ND Filter. When buying filters, do you all buy one for each lens?

Snowbear: THANKS!

the meter just makes recommendations, it is not an absolute. Can you change the ISO on that camera, or does it read the DX code ? If you can't you should be able to use the exposure comensation dial .

You can get one filter and step up rings instead of purchasing so many. You buy a filter for the largest size and then use step up rings fitting the smallest up the filter size. It might take more than one , it will depend on the size difference.

yeah you can change it...i think...hahaha...it's got the shutter speed/iso setting knob (1/2000 second - 1 second), which when you pull it up and turn it, it sets the film speed.

Is there ever a time where you don't have the film speed set to match the actual speed for your film? that might be a stupid ?, but I'm thinking that maybe it's some advanced technique.....

yIs there ever a time where you don't have the film speed set to match the actual speed for your film?
Yes, you can "push" the ISO a stop or two, and adjust the developing time. The trade off is you get grainier shots.

check my change. I said they aren't so bad not they are. Can't type.

I never use the box speeds , however, I have tested my equipment along with the film i am using.

Rule of thumb. take a roll of film and shoot halve at box speed then change the ISO to halve. See how you like the results.

It is not uncommon with negative film to do this, with slide film we tended to underexposure by 1/3 of a stop for better saturation.

Is there ever a time where you don't have the film speed set to match the actual speed for your film?
When you're pushing the film (or pulling), like snowbear said. Also a lot of color films look better with about a stop or so of over-exposure (like a lot of 160 film looks better at 100).

Last edited:
I bought a very nice Gossen sixtar for under 30 euros on ebay (claimed never to have been used...well I'm not sure about that but it is in A1 condition). Here are some pics (different cameras) which were taken using this meter to calculate the settings:

Sigma DP1s
SDIM0321.jpg

Nikon P100
DSCN5665.jpg

Voigtländer Vitomatic 1a
imm013_6A-1.jpg

Voigtländer Vitoret
imm018_15A-4.jpg

I prefer black and white, since the processing is cheap (do it myself). I prefer fujifilm acros 100 and kodak tmax 400

I buy all my lenses on KEH or Ebay. There are a few 50mm f1.8 series e lenses on ebay right now for between $50-60; however, I've seen them sell for as little as $25 on auction.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back