starting photo. class - need a camera

jtsporsche

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i also posted this in the beginners section seeing as it fits in both forums.

hello, im new to the forum and i am about to jump into the world of photography. im enrolling into a class at the local community college which doesnt supply cameras.
i need a camera that has
1. an adjustable lense
2. adjustable shutter speeds
3. built in exposure meter

i was looking at a cannon sx20 (if i remember i think thats what its called) it is a 12.1 mp which i understand is ok, and a 20x digital zoom.
but im looking for suggestions. i dont think i need anything super awesome and id like to stay under $300

thanks

I picked up an S5 for my daughter - canon refurb - 325$
factory refurbs can be a means to getuch more camera for the price!
Also, keep in mind that 'digital zoom' is the same 'crop' you can achieve on a computer. The '5x' or '10x' of the lens is a quality feature, digital zoom is a sales point

You may want to check with the teacher in the class since it may require a 35mm film SLR camera.

Unless you are planning on staying in film, and some people do, but many go on to digital technology when class is over. If so, why spend more $$ than you need to for a film camera body you might not use much after the class is over?

Just remember that you can buy a nice used 35mm film SLR camera body, either a Canon or a Nikon, used, easily for less than $50.00. They are PLENTIFUL and very affordable on eBay, Craigslist, local pawnshops and used camera stores in most any metropolitan area.

Craisglist is LOADED with film camera bodies that people bought for a class or some other reason, that they can't sell, sometimes cannot even give away afterwards.

I have several very nice (like brand new) Nikon film bodies listed for sale on CL in the $35.00 price range, and I don't even get inquiries for them, maybe once a month or so. Not saying to buy mine, just using it as an example so you don't get stuck with an expensive camera body that you might not want, and might not can sell after the class.

For another example, not long ago I had a very nice Nikon N90s that I bought for $40.00.

Just want you to be aware, before you spend $200.00 - $300.00 for a film body just for the class, that you won't be able to sell for vary much afterwards if you decide you want to go on into the digital world.

Also, if you buy the right stuff, you could keep your lenses you buy for the digital (as they will always hold their their value is they are mfg name AF lenses (if class wants manual focus, just turn it off for the class)) camera you buy later, and just be "out" the value of the film camera body.

Also note, that in terms of resale value, most manual focus camera bodies and most manual focus lenses will re-sell for very little unless you are extremely lucky.

Good luck, you will learn a LOT in a good class....

thanks, it seems i have ALOT to learn about cameras themselves.
what is SLR?
and how can i tell the difference between digital and film?

thanks, it seems i have ALOT to learn about cameras themselves.
what is SLR?
and how can i tell the difference between digital and film?

SLR is a Single Lens Reflex, a film camera.

DSLR, the D is for Digital SLR

All a DSLR is, essentially, is a computer with a lens. The electronics and photo sensor capture a digital image that is stored on a memory card, replacing the need to use film in a DSLR. You can then copy that digital image to your pc to store, process, print, etc.

Many people will always use film technology, and some even prefer it to digital, but others go digital and never look back.

Like mentioned before, you can look around and learn so you have some idea, but I would not buy anything until you have started attending the photo classes. There are some classes out there who teach film and only film. But there are others who will teach digital. You need to know what type of camera to buy before you go out and buy it.

There is a TON of reading here on TPF about what to buy, and the Canon vs. Nikon discussion is much like Ford vs. Chevy.

There are other camera mfg's, and in the long run, you will be best off if you will go with either Canon or Nikon, but, between those two, choose whatever feels best and most natural in YOUR hands when you handle it.

Either Canon or Nikon will take fine photographs, once you learn how to use the camera properly, which is what that class will teach you..

Most reactions

Back