It's a lot different over here, i think film teaches you more than digital, when you read some of the posts in beginners most people are shooting away and don't know what they are doing wrong if they were shooting film they would soon learn or it would hit them in their pockets, it slows you down and makes you think more
by the way i shoot both film and digital
You do understand that cameras work the same way now that they worked with film right? The only difference is the medium. Shutters and apertures still work exactly how they did with film. How will shooting film immediately make people learn better and know the right way? The answer is, it won't. Sure, screwing up an entire roll of film because you had something set wrong will teach you not to do it, but it's more frustrating than anything because it is so expensive to make that mistake. Actually, I would make the argument that it's easier to learn with digital because you get immediate feedback on each and every shot, and it allows you to adjust and learn as you go.
I remember when I learned on film how frustrating it was to have an entire roll of film ruined because I was shooting manual and I had the ISO set for 800 speed film, and had 100 speed loaded. It sure was fun to find out that my shots were 3 stops underexposed because I was newbie and made a newbie mistake. Oh wait, it wasn't fun, it was frustrating! If I have something set up wrong on a DSLR, guess what, I know it immediately after I make the shot, and I can correct the mistake so it doesn't happen again.
Bottom line is, there is nothing you can learn with film photography that you can't learn with digital. I have nothing against film, I still shoot film occasionally. However, the learning curve is so much shorter on digital, simply because of the immediate feedback you can receive. If someone wishes to learn on film, I have no problem with that, but you simply cannot make the argument that it is better to learn on film, and be able to back it up.
How come people seem to think that just because one way is harder, or more unforgiving, that it's better to learn that way? Should pilots be required to learn to fly on a Wright Flyer before moving onto a Cessna? Maybe introduction to computer classes should be taught with punch card computers. How much sense does that really make now?