Starting the New Year with Film

Gary A.

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.garyayala.com
Recently I purchased an old film camera. I finally got it all together with a new scanner. I haven't developed film in decades. While I am not very happy with these photos, I've done worse ... not sure it its my exposure and development ... the old camera and lenses not up to par ... or the scanning ... but in any case here's a couple from the Seal Beach Pier.

Seal%20Beach%201%20%284%29.jpg

Fujifilm 680III w/ Tri-X @ ASA 400

Seal%20Beach%201%20%283%29.jpg

Fujifilm 680III w/ Tri-X @ ASA 400

Gary

Last edited:
well, despite the flaws they certainly have their own look and strange appeal and I am keeping in mind these are your new "trial " shots. . Even more valuable perhaps might be the experience and love for photography in you taking them. Perhaps one of the local site film experts will chime in with some valuable input. something different for sure, thank for posting pretty cool.

I was depressed by the lack of keepers and I was expecting more from such a large negative. I need to dial in exposure/develop with the scanner for better negs. I was disappointed with the lack of sharpness at 100%. Could be home scanning ain't all that great or the camera/lenses needs adjustment or maybe something as simple at a long exposure with pounding waves in loose sand makes for soft edges. I just need to keep at it with more work to dial everything in.

What are you scanning it with ? ... and most important, are the negs sharp ?

I actually like it, #1... but I know nothing about film so... ;)

you'll figure out whatever it needs to be figured out, I'm sure

Not bad, though I agree on the sharpness. I'm also starting to play with film this year and purchased an old camera off of ebay. I haven't used film in a little over 10 years and have never developed any so I've got a lot to learn and re-learn.

Most reactions

Back