What's new

Steampunk Session

celticwhim

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did this Steampunk stylized shoot a few days ago right as the sun was setting. I think they turned out cute. Any outside thoughts are welcome. I am curious what other people think of this style? These were taken with a Nikon D800 right before sunset in the foothills.


$Steam Session8small.webp$Steam Session.webp$Steam Session2.webp$Steam Session4.webp$Steam Session9small.webp$Steam Session3small.webp
 
Last edited:
I don't really care for the desaturated/washed out/faded look on those top photos.
I recognize that this is often classified as a "style", for some reason, but it just isn't one I particularly think is very good.
I will admit the same distaste for sun flare.
strictly personal taste mind you.

the bottom photos i find much more appealing.
the left is tightly framed, but nicely done. I like this one. her smile looks a bit forced, but when you work with kids, sometimes you just take what you can get when its close enough. I am getting the feeling that the color version of this one had pretty harsh lighting, but I like the processing on the conversion.

I originally wanted to say that the middle photo had the saturation pushed up just a little too much....but i think that for the type of shot this is, and being steampunk, it actually works out well. I like the framing on this one as well, and the girls expression is wonderful. I might have called this one the best shot of the set, If i had not seen the last photo. It could be a tie between the two.

the bottom right photo is very nicely done. the framing might be a HAIR tighter than i personally would have liked to see on this one, but it is still good.
the girls expression is perfect for this shot. The processing on it is a little different than the rest. it gives a nice contrast. a little light, a little dark. I think it works very well. definitely a keeper.
 
Thanks for your thoughts! I do tend to crop tight, just a personal avenue I guess. But that is her real smile, lol, she was actually in the middle of a laugh. She is very dramatic, I know well....she is mine. :mrgreen: This is actually the first time I really experimented with the sun flares and they are all in camera, not PS. I thought it worked well for this type, but I probably wouldn't have use that technique otherwise. The lighting on the rest was actually quite nice as the sun was setting, but they are heavily edited. I am still learning PS and hope I will get better with time and practice.
 
I don't really care for the desaturated/washed out/faded look on those top photos.
I recognize that this is often classified as a "style", for some reason, but it just isn't one I particularly think is very good.
I will admit the same distaste for sun flare.
strictly personal taste mind you.

the bottom photos i find much more appealing.
the left is tightly framed, but nicely done. I like this one. her smile looks a bit forced, but when you work with kids, sometimes you just take what you can get when its close enough. I am getting the feeling that the color version of this one had pretty harsh lighting, but I like the processing on the conversion.

I was going to type some stuff but when I scrolled down to get to the reply box I saw you already typed up what I was going to type. Much apprecaited you reading my mind and typing it up for me :D
 
I think it is a very cute set. Steampunk is so big where I live right now. The 5th image is my favorite.
 
I think Steam Punk can work well when one tries to emulate the older appearance of earlier film photos - thing is its one of those effects you can't do half hearted. You've got to go in fully to really make the viewer feel that its gritty film to really get the effect to pull off (or just use real film ;)).

Fun set - but next time get some oil/grease to add to the mix. A few smudges adds a lot of character to this kind of genre.
 
I think Steam Punk can work well when one tries to emulate the older appearance of earlier film photos - thing is its one of those effects you can't do half hearted. You've got to go in fully to really make the viewer feel that its gritty film to really get the effect to pull off (or just use real film ;)).

Fun set - but next time get some oil/grease to add to the mix. A few smudges adds a lot of character to this kind of genre.

i recommend super blue high temp grease.
 
Um...ok?:confused:
 
seriously though...dont actually use that stuff. we used it at work and it does NOT come off for a long time.
 
Yeah, my Mac would not appreciate me rubbing that on the screen while in PS, hahaha!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom