Steel wool + Metal whisk = Fun

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to an abandoned warehouse to help a friend just getting into photography work on a school project. We basically weaved a bunch of steel wool through a metal whisk, lit it on fire, and then twirled it around. It was a good time and made some neat images just for the lulz.

ibha6kBtzPJFJM.jpg

Without the fire and such:

ifWJqXBiN47zX.jpg

ieNxQmsTPBcZP.jpg

i6cq78YTmB9wB.jpg

Last edited:
It's like a big boy sparkler! Cool. Does it burn as hot as a sparkler, and what did you use to ignite the steel wool? Any accelerant?

Do the hot embers burn ya or what? I've marked this down as something I might try some day ;)

It's like a big boy sparkler! Cool. Does it burn as hot as a sparkler, and what did you use to ignite the steel wool? Any accelerant?

Haha, yes it is like a big boy sparkler. I'm not really sure how hot it burns to be honest, I wasn't the one swinging it around. There were flaming chunks of steel wool falling off the whisk from time to time that just kind of burned out on the ground. There was no accelerant used, just a good ol' Bic lighter and some steel wool. The finer the cut the better. I guess the coarse wool doesn't work so well.

I doubt it burns as hot as a sparkler, to be honest. I think they have some magnesium in them, and that burns signifigantly hotter than steel.

Only recommendation would be to wear safety googles next time, no reason to risk an eye injury with molten metal. Neat shots though, thanks for sharing.

I doubt it burns as hot as a sparkler, to be honest. I think they have some magnesium in them, and that burns signifigantly hotter than steel.

Only recommendation would be to wear safety googles next time, no reason to risk an eye injury with molten metal. Neat shots though, thanks for sharing.

Who's to say I didn't wear safety goggles? :sexywink:

Didn't look like it on picture #4, but could be hidden by the hat and the angle of the shot. Of course, I'm assuming that's you by the camera on 4.

Ah, no. I was behind my camera in photo 4. That was my friend Trevor that you see. I can't recall if he had safety glasses on or not.

Anyways, looks cool. Thanks for posting.

Cool! I like the spark trails.

Maybe next time add some toilet paper and some gasoline!!!

Nice stuff; thanks.

Cool! I like the spark trails.

Maybe next time add some toilet paper and some gasoline!!!
Oooooo -- a tennis ball soaked in gasoline or kerosine -- bouncy, bouncy!

Oooooo -- a tennis ball soaked in gasoline or kerosine -- bouncy, bouncy!

Fire incendiary rounds at a ½-pint container of gasoline at night. Fun, Fun, Fun!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back