steelworks (3 photos)

quad b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
three that i took two nights ago at the steelworks in wollongong (port kembla). comments are much appreciated, hope you enjoy....

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

thanks for looking....

I'm sorry, but what is with your camera [or maybe just my computer]? All of your photos seem to have this strange very soft looking glow to them, especially all the parts that are white in your photographs. Maybe you've purposely done this in Photoshop, but it almost looks to me like it was some kind of weird movement (or even setting) of your camera.

It might be my computer, but to me they look like this::

Original photo:
untitledzv3.png

With added glow (see circled area):
untitled2hg5.png

See how the white parts got all 'pulled out', soft, and glowy?
Sorry, it's just been bugging me. But otherwise, very nice shots. I like the colors on number 2.

I love them, very nice!

I don't see anything "wrong" with them, what you're talking about appears to me to be the affect of a long exposure. Not uncommon in night shots, and often what "makes" the shot.

I'm a relative noob, so please, OP, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dawn

My guess is: you took these night photos with your lens wide open?
Large apertures shorten your exposure times, agreed, but also make light sources become big, soft, bright blobs.
If you go for a sharper aspect, also of the light sources that will feature in your night photos, use a smaller aperture (f11 or less). That, of course, will ask for longer exposure times (so a tripod is essential). Don't up the ISO, stay with the low ISO for better colours and a sharper photo, and expose for longer. Best set your camera on timer so that you won't be touching it in the moment it starts to expose so you don't get camera shake from pressing the button.

LaFoto is correct. I took these at large apertures trying to avoid a longer exposure (because i only had my crappy tripod that blows in the wind). Also I was trying to avoid the "star" effect on the lights.

I tried ... seems like we posted at the same time.

we did, so i edited my comment. thanks for that...you always have the answers.

My guess is: you took these night photos with your lens wide open?
Large apertures shorten your exposure times, agreed, but also make light sources become big, soft, bright blobs.
If you go for a sharper aspect, also of the light sources that will feature in your night photos, use a smaller aperture (f11 or less). That, of course, will ask for longer exposure times (so a tripod is essential). Don't up the ISO, stay with the low ISO for better colours and a sharper photo, and expose for longer. Best set your camera on timer so that you won't be touching it in the moment it starts to expose so you don't get camera shake from pressing the button.

LaFoto,

Great tip. I have just started getting into night photography and have not experimented with different f-stops yet. The work I've done so far was done with the lens open pretty wide, with the same kind of results as I've seen here. I have a 12 ft Christmas tree (still up) that I can test this out on. I will try to post the results in the next day or two.

Nice photos. I need experience in night photography (I stink at it so far) and the tips LaFoto has given will be of great help. quad b, thanks for sharing!

Most reactions

Back