What's new

"Steil Oil Co. #16"

Helius

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 15, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I call this one the "Steil Oil Co. #16" The film that I used for this was Kodak Extar 100 120mm. Please feel free to let me know what you think. I'm eager to hear suggestions / critiques. If you want a higher resolution image to view, go to http://www.impactcamera.com

$Steil Oil Co. #16.webp

Thanks for viewing!
 
I have looked at three of the pictures you've posted and I am embarassed to admit that I don't get what you are showing in this pictures.
 
Thank you for your feedback, The_Traveler. On a nutshell, this shot represents a trend in my work to document sites which have a high likelihood of destruction in the near future. Since I happen to be a student of history, I find that documenting roadside America is particularly important, because something once lost is lost forever. Even in this case, a simple abandoned gas station, a site we would normally not pay attention to, is captured in a splendor of color, and is forced upon the viewer who either connects with what some would say is inherent beauty in the benign, or not. Here, I especially appreciate the angularity of the image, and the proportions of the composition.
 
Helius, I share your passion of historical places. In the town that I am originally from, Henderson, KY, there is a whole area of town that has amazing buildings (including a condemned train depot that was once amazing). I shoot portraits in these areas, because I have a love for old, rusty and worn places as my backdrops. When I shoot there, I almost feel saddened by it all. I know that that part of town was once a thriving area, because there used to be a paper mill there, which employed a large part of the town. When the paper mill went out of business, the whole part of town was forgotten. It's stupid to me, because the rest of the town is horrible in comparision, where beauty is concerned.
 
See, I knew I wasn't the only one! :)amandamartin, I'm glad that you can appreciate the fact that these beautiful places, so full of history, must be preserved. The dichotomy of your hometown as far as beauty is concerned is interesting. I think that goes to show you that old, sometimes abandoned things lend much beauty, in contrast to only stark modern constructions. A certain character...
 
And here is what makes me bad about the whole thing: the beautiful train depot that is now condemned was considered being restored a few years back. The city decided against it because it isn't in a great part of town. Instead, they built a "replica" of it in the downtown area. That would have been great, but they neglected to give the new one the detail that was present in the old one. They cut corners and made it more of a modern version instead of actually replicating the one that was there (or just restoring it, despite the area it is in).
 
That's the burden of modernity. (A gift and a curse). Something new and obsidian goes up everyday; each building counter-corner to the other. The train station you present is one example of where, with a little bit more time and a little more effort, a piece of local heritage could have been saved...That heritage is an asset.
 
Even though this has a 'higher purpose', I think that even documentation pictures, if they are posted for comments should adhere to the same standards as we use in looking at others.

The composition seems lacking to me, the entire UL part of the image being a uninteresting sky and the colors, far from rich or luscious, seen rather toneless.
There is a general lack of sharpness as seen below in a 100% crop from the 2963 x 2975 original
There is a large amount of dirt and debris on most areas - as seen in the second clip

roofline.jpg


dirtyt.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the valid criticism. Please keep in mind that I scan these images on a cheap HP printer / scanner combo, and I intentionally choose to scan with a 5" x 5" print. The lack of extreme detail when blown up substantially might be recurrent in my images until I figure out a better scanning solution that is capable of scanning larger prints. right now, I'd just as soon put that money toward better film and development. But I appreciate your time in analyzing the visual elements that detract from the image! :)
 
Helius sir,
Probably you tied the horse behind the cart; while an image which is apparently not very pleasing or conversing, the history must be presented along with to avoid misconception; i share your concerns

Regards and all the Best :D
 
That's probably true about putting the cart before the horse. I simply imagined a history for the old gas station presented here. I'm glad that you share the concern of preservation. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom