Step-up Rings and Filters

adamodepax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
X

Last edited:
I can help you on two of your questions, at least. First, I think the only reason not to get the largest filter (other than cost) is that lens hoods may not accommodate a filter larger than what the camera normally accepts. Now, I don't think this would be a problem for a 72 vs. 77 mm filter, but it could be an issue when you get to, say, 62 mm vs 77 mm.

As to getting a separate "neutral color filter" for each lens, it depends on what you mean by "neutral color filter." What I've heard is that most people get a UV filter (basically clear filter, since glass already blocks UV light, anyway) and pretty much always keep it on their lens in order to protect the front element. If that's what you're talking about, then it's up to you, but otherwise it sounds like he's trying to pad sales.

Now as to what to look for in terms of brand, I don't really think anyone buys on-brand filters. But there are different quality levels of filters, types of coatings, etc. that make the difference between a $30 filter and $150 filter. But I don't know enough to get more specific than that.

If you're gonna be using filters that large, I would instead in some Cokin 'P' filters, a holder and get T-rings for the holder that will fit on each lens you have. By getting the 'P' series filters you ensure that the filters will not vignette the corners of you image and will also fit your medium format lenses if and when you decide to move up.

Most reactions

Back