Steve Kaeser Continuous Lighting Kit

Here's another option for roughly the same price but you may want to upgrade from 26w bulbs to 45w or 85w bulbs..

I do like the umbrella's on your link but I also like the reflectors on this one :)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Photo-Studio-Light-Lighting/dp/B000BFYQ6S/ref=sr_1_76?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1228002859&sr=1-76"]light heads/stands kit[/ame]

Then I made softboxes for them..

Softboxes.jpg

This is with two - 45w and two - 85w bulbs from Alzo..

Bulbscloseup.jpg

Cheers, Don

Not to disrespect anyone, but I feel the best place for these kinds of lights are lamps and ceiling fixtures, not photography usage. They are not very portable at all (often requiring several 110v outlets), not as strong as a flash, get temperature variances from light to light and though most tell you that they put out no heat... thought they put out less than an ordinary bulb, they do exude more than enough heat to detract from the experience for anyone that has to sit under them for extended periods of time if close enough.

Do they work? yes. Are there better options for about the same money? I feel a straight strobe on a lightstand gives as good or better results ($20 lightstand and a $89 battery powered strobe), but add an umbrella for a small increase in investment, and you get the advantage of stronger diffused lights, more directionality, portability, affordable future expansion and (arguably) better final results.

Rather than invest $150 here, I would invest in a battery powered strobe setup that could open more doors for me and be useful in a greater number of places and situations.

Compared to what other photographers use out there, in sheer numbers alone they are looking at something like a 10% vs 90% range of full-time light users vs flash... and there are some very good reasons for going flash. I'd personally suggest investing their money into another direction other than kits like this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back